Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

bucks

Old 11-27-2002, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default bucks

The only time I seem to get a buck close to my stand is when he is chaseing does. I never had an buck walk right by my stand. I use lures and all. Is there any way to get those bucks close to my stand?
Old 11-27-2002, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: bucks

Scouting and stand placement make a huge difference. If you see the path that the bucks take during the day you can time the spot he is going to be and place a stand there. I Have a climbing stand and during bow season if I see a buck during the day I can move the stand for the next time. It is still advantage buck but studing their moves gives you a better chance of taking a buck that is not chasing a doe.

Old 11-27-2002, 11:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Allen said it all, before the rut and after it is all scouting and adjusting, convergance of multiple trails or a singular narrow funnel between two major feeding/bedding areas are also areas of high probability. Once the rut is on where you find does you will find bucks.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 11-27-2002, 12:03 PM

during the rut anything can happen at any time and when it does its usually going 100 mph...lol. the best way to actually bag a buck thats not in psyco mode is early season scouting. early season food plots and funnels between bedding areas and food plots are your best bet to bag a buck. bare in mind that if you do your homework and get a buck patterned between bedding and feeding areas you'll usually take him the very first time you set up on him. so be maticulous in your prep because if you blow it you'll probably never see him again if he's a mature buck.
Old 11-27-2002, 03:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

If he's chasing does...rut is on or very near. If your seeing him your in his area. So rattle his chain! Rattle and call him, you can use the scents to further the setup if you wish.

Like the other said make a move if you can and try to get in his travel route not just mayhem of chasing does.

Old 11-28-2002, 10:09 AM

Success with mature bucks out of the rut is not about getting them to come into your stand, its about getting your stand into them. Forget about calling or luring a buck to you, you have to set up where they are. Get close or inside any thick bedding areas, forget the fields and open woods, forget about the does (mature bucks and does are two completely different species)

Hunt thick, hunt scent free, and get under the sheets with them. Otherwise you will only see does and dinks.