Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

OK hunting

Old 12-31-2006, 07:10 PM
Spike

Default OK hunting

Hey guys, just joined the forum and was wandering if any of you hunt public land in OK?
Old 12-31-2006, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: OK hunting

I am sure that there probably is some public land, but I am not aware of any. There are some refuge hunts that you can draw for. I have a place near the Salt Plain refuge, and there are some great deer in that area. If you are really interested in public land or a draw hunt, I would suggest contacting the Oklahoma Dept. of Wildlife Conservation. I can promise you that the info will be alot more accurate than a public forum.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:17 AM

There are a lot of draw hunts on public land in OK. There is McAlester AAP in eastern OK.The best draw of all is an elk hunt in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:44 AM
Typical Buck

I did all of my hunting on public land this year. I spent a few days out at Lexington...that seemed like a big waste of time. The rest of my time was spent at altus lugert. There are some good deer in the area but there are also a ton of coyotes and bobcats. I have heard that there is a good hog populationbut I still havent seen any tracks or other sign. A lady at the neerby gas station also told me yesterday of a bunch of mountain lion sightings....Makes you a little nervous.

Have you done any public land hunts? If so did you have any luck on them.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome to the forums wmahunter
I hunt public land here in Michigan , I'm sure you'll find someone in here thats hunts public land in your home state.
Theres alot of good people here andwould bewilling to help you with questions .
Old 01-01-2007, 06:04 PM

al most a millon acres in the s.e part of the state and some scattered all over the statehavent been down there for a few years but they said it was a good year for a change downthere
Old 01-02-2007, 12:09 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: wmahunter

Hey guys, just joined the forum and was wandering if any of you hunt public land in OK?
Where are you located?
Old 01-02-2007, 03:19 PM
Spike

davs2601, I live in Duncan and was just wandering if any of you okies hunt public land. So did you not have any luck at Lexington? Do you hunt any other lands in OK? I didnt kill a single deer this year but seen lots of deer. Cant wait to hunt this next season. Thanks all of you for your help. if you have any more advise let me know. my email is [email protected]
Old 01-03-2007, 02:32 AM
Typical Buck

I just posted the stuff belowto another thread and I didnt realize it was you. oops
I had fun at Lexington during dove season, but deer season was a waste of time. Where have you been hunting? You should take a trip out to Altus Lugert and hunt the south section below Highway 9 for coyotes and bobcats. There are a ton of them, I actually found an entire deer carcas that I had seen 2 weeks earlier drug back into a little cove that was riddled with other bones and feathers. Its probably 1/4 mile back into some thick trees and hills. There must be a big gang of them to move the carcass that far.

If you do go out there make sure it isnt after a hard rain. I didnt realize how much rain fell down there and I got stuck up to my axels on sunday. Luckly a farmer saw me trying to dig out with my window scraper and he got his tractor to get me out. Next time ill just walk in.

I hunt public land. I didnt do any good this year but I had a blast. I had a buck ten yards to my left while I was in my ground blind. Talk about getting the blood pumping. Unfortunately I wasnt paying attention, Oh well ill be after him again next year.

Did you do any good on public land this year? I spent alot of time out at Altus-Lugert. There are some good deer there but they are extremely hard to pattern. Once I got it figured out they changed it all up on me. Although I did find out that Altus Lugert is getting overrun with coyotes and bobcats. I went out sunday after alot of rain and there were tracks everywhere...and I mean everywhere. I may have to plan another trip in the next few weeks for a predator hunt.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:08 PM
Fork Horn

thats all i hunt.public land around Lake Thundbird,its only archery no guns thats the way i like it.
lots of deer but lots of pressure in the early season.
5deer this year.

Quick Reply: OK hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.