Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Doe bellowing like a cow??

Old 11-26-2002, 11:06 PM

Default Doe bellowing like a cow??

All right i wouldnt have believed this if i had not seen it. yesterday i was in my shop working on my tractor. see i live in the boonies ,in the sticks with woods all around me.
I heard something just bellowing like crazy behind my shop . so i go and look. and what do i see a doe running around bellowing like a cow!!!!! she ran around for about 2 or 3 minutes doing this. nothing chasing her , all alone.
Made me start thinking there might be something to that primos can call?
I would not believe it if i hadnt seen it and heard it. but anyway she just took of through the woods . but she stopped bellowing.
i love living among the wild creatures! except i am little concerned about the fresh snake skin under my house. i hope i don't have to go under there!!

SOUTH ARKANSAS REBEL
Old 11-27-2002, 12:18 AM

Default RE: Doe bellowing like a cow??

Sounds like that deer has gone plum crazy!
Old 11-27-2002, 06:21 AM

Soarkrebel I live in the woods to and I know how lonely it gets. Be honest you where pretending to be a big buck and you were going to get you some of that WILD loven. ha! ha! On a serious note maybe she had been wounded or like onlybow said she just went plain local(crazy).
Old 11-27-2002, 08:29 AM

What that is called is a ready call for a buck. I here it all the time and have done the call a couple of times in December with luck. The sound she is making is telling her fawn to stay put and alerting a buck she is ready. I will find the article on it I wrote and post it. There is also a sound a doe makes when they are going to die. Its a gurgling sound from the lungs.
Old 11-27-2002, 09:02 AM

722 i don't really get lonely i always have something to do. plus suburbia would drive me crazy. i cant stand subdivisions. i like the fact that i can pee off the back deck ,if i forget something in my truck i just go out in my underwear, i don't have a nosey nieghbor looking through my window and i leave the keys in my vehicles. there is a long list of thing great about living in the country. for me i can leave the house get on a four wheeler ride through the ouachita national forest and see parts most folks never will. drive all the way to the lake on atv about 5 miles. tens of thousands of acres right here in my backyard. yep folks can have the city!!!!!

And i get to see loco deer right in my back yard.

SOUTH ARKANSAS REBEL
Old 11-27-2002, 08:58 PM

Soarkrebel, huntingbgbucks is right. What you heard was a doe breeding bellow. Usually a doe will make this noise when a very big buck is in the area and she would rather breed with him than any of the others she has seen. What a golden opportunity!!! Unfortunately, if you were close enough to hear this, the big buck probably was, too, and he probably knew you were there. If you hear this noise again, hide the best you can and get ready. You might get to see a huge buck.

Check this website: bowhunting.net/Joe Gennaro's page