Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shotgun for Deer

Old 12-28-2006, 12:29 PM

Default Shotgun for Deer

I was woundering if you guys could help me out, Im thinking of starting early for deer this year in shotgun/bow season using a shotgun can you tell me stuff like what is the range for a slug usually, what is a good gun for slugs, do I need any upgrades to my regular gun or any other things I should know? thanks
Old 12-28-2006, 01:17 PM

Default RE: Shotgun for Deer

I have a Mossberg 500 with a rifled barrel. I shoot remington coppersolids and it is very accurate and quite deadly at 100 yards. I am sure it would work just fine at a longer distance but I am not comfortable shooting it much farther. The slug drops quite a bit after that 100 yard mark. The longest shot I have ever killed a deer with it is 125 yards. I have used a scope but I currently have a red-dot on it and use it for push hunts. I use my muzzleloader for hunting from a stand.

If you have a smooth bore gun you can use rifled slugs that work well from what I hear. I have never used them but I know guys who do and they drop deer just as often as I do.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:27 PM

It all depends on you and the gun. What type of gun are you talking about?

For a smoothbore you would need rifled/foster type slugs and a Modified or more open choke, not a full. A full might work, but I doubt accuracy would be too great.

Range will depend on how well you shoot and how well the gun likes the particular slugs you are using. In most cases figure on around 60-75 yards or so with a smoothbore. Sometimes you can get more, sometimes it's less. I figure max range is where the group opens up to about 5 inches or so. As far as ballistics most 12 and 20 ga slugs be it rifled or sabot have what it takes to kill deer out to 100 yards, some beyond that if you can hit what you are aiming at.

My mossberg 500 with a smoothbore was good for about 65 yards. My A-5 stalker with a 21 inch smoothbore is good to around 100 yards. Both had fiber optic open sights.

A rifled barrel should get you out to 100 yards pretty easily.

Paul
Old 12-28-2006, 01:38 PM

paul mohr....i would sugest he use iproved cylinder for slugs not mod or open
Old 12-28-2006, 08:04 PM

Well i've hunted with an Remington11-87 and 870 Super mag without a rifled barrel. I just purchased an H&R ultra slug 12ga and i love it. It's very accurate. If you looking to purchase a new gun for hunting deer make sure you get something with a rifled barrel. Or check out a muzzleloader, these new muzzleloaders can be accurate almost up to 200yds or more. Those are just a few things to ponder....
Old 12-28-2006, 09:32 PM
Fork Horn

I would recommend a shotgun with a fully rifled barrel. I like semi-autos but a pump or single shot will work just as good, maybe even better. I like a 20 ga. with a scope. They're usually lighter then a 12 ga. Range wise with the newer sabot slugs both the 12 ga. and the 20 ga. are good out to 150 yards or so. The 12 ga. is definitely going to hit with more authority then the 20 ga. [/align]
Old 12-28-2006, 10:04 PM
Typical Buck

I recently was looking into the same thing. I have a mossberg 500 but I have a 28" barrel with screw in chokes. I wasnt sure how it would shoot so I stuck to my bow through gun season. If you purchase a new shot gun get on with both barrels. Most manufactures will have a setup with your typical shotgun barrel and then a slug barrel. I know that at walmart.com they sell a mossberg rifled barrel with a cantilever scope mount with scope. Its bore sighted and it is $150.00. I plan to buy one really soon.
good luck to you
Old 12-28-2006, 10:48 PM

I don't know much about shotguns, and shotgun hunting accesories for the weapon. But I do know that the Remington 870 series is excellent.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:53 AM

ORIGINAL: IllinoisShotgunDeer

paul mohr....i would sugest he use iproved cylinder for slugs not mod or open
I said Modified or MORE open, not a cylinder bore, which depending on the slugs you use might work well. I have actually had really good luck with a modified choke in both my guns. Both shoot slugs better with that choke and both my guns came with several and I tried them all.

It really depends on the overall diameter of the slug you pic, they all vary slightly from company to company. Inline muzzle loaders are the opposite, the barrels actually differ in size from manufacturer to manufacturer!

Getting an accurate slug gun takes some time and effort unless you get lucky right out of the gate.

I also have an H&R slugger for a dedicated slug gun and like it. If you decide to go that route though I would suggest the 20 ga ultra over the 12 ga. It is more versatile and from what I have seen will have better accuracy potential with the faster modern sabot bullets.

Paul
Old 12-29-2006, 08:07 AM
Fork Horn

Ditto on the H&R slugger.I have one also in the 20 gauge and love it.

Quick Reply: Shotgun for Deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.