Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Angle shots

Old 12-27-2006, 09:08 PM

Default Angle shots

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but the issue of whether to aim high or low when shooting up and down hill was briefly mentioned hererecently with different conclusions. I'm wondering what you guys know about this. I was told that you should aim low - how much depends on several factors-because gravity has the greatest affect ona bullet when it's horizontal. I always have to think about this, but it does seem to make sense: When shooting at an angle, either up or down,the less force gravity will exert on the bullet. In other words, it won't drop as fast. So, shoot lowon all angle shots.Yes?
Old 12-27-2006, 09:38 PM

Default RE: Angle shots

If your target is at a lower elevation you aim low. - If it's low, shoot low.

If your target is at a higher elevation you aim high. - If it's high, shoot high.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Predator26

If your target is at a higher elevation you aim high. - If it's high, shoot high.
I do not believe that is correct.
Lets just say the path of a bullet drops 10" at 200 yds on flat ground, well 300yds uphill could only be 200 yds horizontal, vice versa for down hill.
You have to pretend your still shooting horizontal whether its up or down.

This will boggle the mind:
Lets just pretend we are shooting on the flatest and levelest place on earth, perfectly flat for miles. If I took a rifle andshot it horizontaly from the standing position and dropped the same grain bullet from the same height, at exactly the same time,both bullets will hit the ground at the same time.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:38 AM
Dominant Buck

exterior ballistics

Shooting Uphill and Downhill
Old 12-28-2006, 08:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

That's wrong. You aim low regardless of whether your'e shooting uphill or downhill.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

That's wrong. You aim low regardless of whether your'e shooting uphill or downhill.
You are correct.....in either instance the horizontal distance is shorter than the line of sight distance thus you need to aim lower to avoid hitting high. It's called the Pythagorean Theorem for any math lovers. 'A' squared + 'B' squared ='C' squared.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

I do not believe that is correct.
Lets just say the path of a bullet drops 10" at 200 yds on flat ground, well 300yds uphill could only be 200 yds horizontal, vice versa for down hill.
You have to pretend your still shooting horizontal whether its up or down.

This will boggle the mind:
Lets just pretend we are shooting on the flatest and levelest place on earth, perfectly flat for miles. If I took a rifle andshot it horizontaly from the standing position and dropped the same grain bullet from the same height, at exactly the same time,both bullets will hit the ground at the same time.
You are correct with the same grain bullet hitting the ground at the same time...But, you need not use the same grain (weight bullet)...weight has absolutely nothing to do with it.

This means that if no air resistance is present, two objects will reach the ground at the same time if they are dropped simultaneously from the same height.

You could fire you rifle, and if I dropped a cannon ball at the exact same moment, they would both hit the ground at the same time....
Old 12-28-2006, 10:08 AM
Fork Horn

Ignoring gravity for a second for steep angle shots do you need to adjust the point of aim for better vital penetration?

For example if you are steeply above an animal the shot could enter the side and exit the belly resulting in a gut shot…or would the angle have to be too steep for this to matter much?

Old 12-28-2006, 10:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Btw, gravity is a constant. It has the same effect on any mass regardless of angle of travel.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Jimmy S

You could fire you rifle, and if I dropped a cannon ball at the exact same moment, they would both hit the ground at the same time....
You sir are correct,I stand corrected.

Quick Reply: Angle shots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.