Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

UPDATE

Old 12-23-2006, 08:52 AM

Default UPDATE

Many of you read another post by me about a legally blind kid named Brandon. On 12-20-06 me and Brandon set out for an afternoon hunt, which would make the second time we went. We get to the stand around 4pm and it was a great looking afternoon. So me and Brandon are sitting there and he is holding my remington 1100 hundred like it is a million dollars. He made the statement to me that he had never been somewherethat was so peaceful and I agreed with him. Well around 5:20pm I hear what sounded like a deer trotting through the woods. I looked over my left shoulder and sure enough there was a deer coming. I told Brandon to get his gun up and he did, straight up. I then told him to get it on his shoulder like we practiced and he was ready. I could tell by now the deer was a buck, but I didn't say anything to Brandon. Brandon could now hear the deer coming through the bushes and I could hear him breathing pretty hard. The little 4 point buck came right into the trail where the scent leaves were hung with the Harmons triple heat doe scent. I leaned over to be able to look down the barrel with Brandon holding the gun. I started telling Brandon to move it to the left a little and then down just a tad. When he was on the mark I told him to pull the trigger...nothing. I'm thinking what the heck. So I tell him again, pull the trigger and BAM. I saw the deer jump and run about 20yards and fall. By now I am about to fall out from the pure excitement and then I remember Brandon. I turned to him and told him he just shot a Buck. That moment and time was one of the best feelings I have ever felt from the pure joy that came over his face. After a few high fives and some missed high fives, I told him we would sit for a few minutes and then get down. So we get down from the two man ladder stand and make way to the downed 4 pointer. Brandon made his way to the deer's head and felt the horns and started hootin and hollerin. Brandon told me this was his first deer ever and wanted a gun just like mine. After all the excitement we made our way back to the truck and loaded the deer up and took a few photo's that I will post as soon as I can. Needless to say I took Brandon on doe day just wanting to see a deer and he got his first Buck. On 12-21-06 Brandon went to school armed with photo's we had processed for him. Folks all I can say if you ever have the chance to take a kid hunting that normally does not have the chance to or has some challenges, ITS WORTH EVERY MINUTE. I have a son of my own who has not taken a deer yet and felt like he couldn't do it or was not good at it. Now he is as fired up as he ever has been nowing Brandon got one. By the way the deer Brandon took was about 15 yards away when he shot. By the way Brandon told me he is going to get scent blocker clothing, a case of Harmons doe scent, and a remington 1100. Thanks again for all the responses on the other post it really helped me figure out what I was going to do with the whole gun and shooting thing with Brandon.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:13 AM

Default RE: UPDATE

Thats great!

Pat yourself on the back, you absolutely deserve it!
Old 12-23-2006, 09:33 AM
Typical Buck

devans850, that is outstanding. You and Brandon have a memory that will last for ever.
You are a great person to give the gift of hunting to someone who would nothave
otherwise had this opportunity. Congrats to you and Brandon.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome story. Congrats to you and Brandon. You did a really great thing.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:46 AM
Site Buck Guru

That is really great! The world needs more people like you.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats an incredible story. Way to go.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:47 PM

You made my day with that story. You deserve a big pat on the back, and tell Brandon congrats from all of us next time you see him.

Old 12-23-2006, 09:58 PM
Typical Buck

That is really cool. He will never forget that day and Im sure you wont either
Old 12-23-2006, 10:28 PM

Great story, and congrats, to you and Brandon, you gave him something, that will last him a lifetime.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:35 PM

I read all the posts to Brandon and he really appreciates all the comments. I am still working on getting the photo posted, not very computer literate. By the way I found out that here in Florida that anyone that is legally blind can use any type of sight i.e.laser or other sighting device, that would normally be illegal. I was told that all you have to do is send the doctor's letter to the Fish and Wildlife Commission along with the type of sight that is going to be used and they will issue a special permit for that hunter. I also confirmed this with the FWC and they also told me that the hunting license is also free of charge, which is a cool thing. Thanks again folks and I promise my next post with have the photo.

Quick Reply: UPDATE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.