Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Gun question for deer..... please help!!!!! >

Gun question for deer..... please help!!!!!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Gun question for deer..... please help!!!!!

Old 12-22-2006, 06:19 PM

Default Gun question for deer..... please help!!!!!

I live in ohio and i was wondering if i should buy a Muzzle loader and if so what kind or should i just put a scope mount with a scope on my 12 gauge. Shotgun and muzzle loader are the only thing legal in ohio.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:02 PM

Default RE: Gun question for deer

Hello... lol!~!~!~!~!!!
Old 12-23-2006, 09:10 PM

Use whatever gun you like. If you have a shotgun use that. Get the scope mounted and you are good to go. No point in spend money on a new gun unless you want a new gun.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:43 PM

Well depends on what you like, if you've shot muzzleloader before? i know some muzzleloaders if equiped properly with the right scope and everything can reach out to 150yds+ and i know some guys around here hunt both seasons with just that.and then again some shotguns can reach out to almost 100yds being accurate as well. It's all in what youlike and prefer.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:58 PM

Yall surelyhave seperate seasons? if so definitely get a muzzle loader.
Also muzzleloading for small game is a great/fun way to hone hunting skills.
Old 12-24-2006, 05:36 AM

In my opinion at the present moment a good Inline ML will be more accurate if you have time to work up a good load. Probably get you a bit more range as well. And in the long run they are cheaper to shoot. Premium slugs are very expensive.

That being said a good slug gun is pretty convenient to shoot and easy to maintain. A muzzle loader can be a pain to shoot and clean, although the newer powders are much better. I like Pioneer (used to be clean shot), Tripple Seven is nice to, and has more velocity per weight if you are using loose powder.

Also a slug gun will give you a faster follow up shot if you need one, even a single shot. And most of them are plenty accurate enough to kill deer at 100 yards and in. I am talking fully rifled barrels here, not smoothbore with a rifled slug.

If you want to use your shotgun get a fully rifled barrel with a cantilever mount. This puts your scope right on your barrel and will be more accurate. I'm not real fond of reciever mounted scopes on guns with removable barrels. Not the most accurate way of going about things.

What kind of shotgun do you have? If you have a mossberg 500 you can get fully rifled slug barrels with open sight or scope mounts, and a 50 cal inline muzzle loader barrel for it!

Also for the price of some barrels or a decent inline you could get a dedicated slug gun like an H&R Ultra Deluxe. I have one and really like it. If I had it to do over again though I would get the 20 ga though.

The other advantage to using a muzzle loader is you could hunt both gun and muzzle loader season with the same gun. This is what I did before I got a slug gun.

Where at in Ohio do you live? I live in Blissfield MI not far from the Ohio border, I live pretty close to Berky.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Paul
Old 12-24-2006, 06:04 AM

Go with both if you have separate seasons.

I think a good ML with pratice and work is more accurate and has better range then a shotgun even with using saboted slugs. However, a shotgun has a quicker follow up shot and accuracy out to 100 yrds is pretty good.

Old 12-24-2006, 06:51 AM

I think you should buy a muzzleloader so you can leave that illegal, unplugged shotgun at home so you arent flinging lead everywhere.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:44 PM

I have a Remington 870 Express Magnum 12 Gauge. Ive heard that you can buy a scope mount for a shotgun that clamps onto the gun, is this true? Ive been looking at some CVA muzzle loaders, what about those?
Old 12-24-2006, 03:42 PM

You can, but they are not very accurate in my opinion. You are shooting a gun that does not have the barrel fixed to the reciever, mounting a scope to the reciever will not give you the most consistant mounting configuration. It may work alright until you take the barrel off to clean it or swap it out for something else.

If you are shooting rifled slugs out of a smooth bore I wouldn't even bother with a scope, just get some clamp on adjustable fiber optic sights. You probably won't get the range out of a smoothbore to warrant a scope anyway.

If you are going to use a rifled barrel and want to use a scope try and get one with a cantilever mount if you can, it will be more accurate and versatile in the long run.

Paul

Quick Reply: Gun question for deer..... please help!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.