Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

"Something's Gonna Die..."

Old 12-21-2006, 01:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default "Something's Gonna Die..."

Guys,

I hope each of you are well and Merry Christmas from Dixie to you and your families.

I was curious if any of you felt like I do in terms of deer hunting. I am an avid hunter and have been going since I was about 5 years old. Started out with Pops, sitting in the deer stand with him, and eventually grew to use a shotgun with him in the stand, a finally a rifle hunting alone when I was 13 or so. When I was growing up, we did not get to hunt all that often, so I grew to absolutely cherish it, each time we were able to go.

More than anything else, I treasured the time with my father and older brother and all th rest of our "hunting buddies" on that old Wilkinson County, Ga lease that we still enjoy today. Back then, the whitetail population down here was not what it is now, and it was a big deal when somebody got a deer, even if it was a spike buck. But honestly, more times than not, we left those weekends without a deer in tow, but we never left empty handed, for the memories made will last forever.

Each of those hunts and camping trips as a youngster implanted in me a true passion and love for the Southern outdoors that is still burning from within. And I am not what I would refer to as a "blood thirsty" hunter. I enjoy killing a good buck and I eat a lot of venison, so I will take a good doe every now and again. But I am not one of these hunters who sets out to the stand all in hopes of taking the life of a whitetail. It is difficult to explain to non-hunters, but I know the good folks on this board understand when I say that the toughest part of hunting for me is pulling the trigger. It is part of it, and while I may celebrate the harvest of a good buck or doe, I never take pleasure in ending the life of that animal. I have seen less than savory "hunters" that do and it bothers me greatly.

I am more of the frame of mind to say a quiet prayer of thanks when I retrieve the animal, first to thank the Good Lord for the opportunity to be in the woods, but also as an honor to the deer whose life I took.

And I am not sure why I get as much pleasure watching a few deer in the woods as I do harvesting a deer, maybe it is b/c I grew up in a time where we did not see too many of them to begin with. The point of my message today is to mention a "hunting" show I have seen some on a couple of times now. I have immediately changed the channel each time I have seen the intro, b/c I cannot, with a good conscience, watch the show. the reason why is b/c in the intro, it shows a clip of some guy saying, "Something's gonna die today!" or something similar.

Guys, a lot of hunting shows sicken me b/c they are canned hunts or whatever. But this show, for this jerk to come on the screen and announce that he is going to cause "something to die" to me is irreverant and disrespectful. I will not support it and I wanted to know if anyone else out there felt like this tried and true Southern deer hunter?

I talk a lot about "respect" and how I demand it. And I do. Awards, accolades, etc, etc. But to me, what matters more than anything is the respect that I show the animals that I hunt and even those that I don't. What matters is the respect I have for the land I walk on in pursuit of the elusive whitetail. The land I hunt on and the deer I pursue demand it - and I will give it with no hesitation.

Hope all of you have a blessed Christmas time, enjoyed with family and even a few friends.

TDWW
Old 12-21-2006, 01:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: "Something's Gonna Die..."

Great post TD and nice to talk with you again. I share your respect for the animal and always have a moment of silence for thanks after success. One of the all time best deer hunters up north Larry Benoit wrote in his book that after the silence, respect and thanks he would pick a tree moss (called old man of the mountains) that only grows in the extreme north big woods and give the deer his last meal. It was an old Indian custom that he continues on even today. Reverence for the animal dead or alive is one of the most important parts of the hunt. Have a merry Christmas TD.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:52 PM

true I hate it when these guy shoot the deer and it's still wounded and then scream and BS around while the deer isn't even down yet,The only show I have seen where they respect the animals and hunt them is {HUNTING THE WEST}.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

great post TOPDAWG, i'm really not that much into the "Kill" part of the hunt, my favorite thing is when everthing comes together, during bow season i had seen a decent 8 pt that will probably have between 110-125" inches of horn he never did give me the opertunity during bow season, well about a week ago i saw him again and he would have been a simple shot with the rifle, but i have a young buddy that has only killed a few does and small bucks, i passed on this one hoping that someone else i know gets a shot at him, i assure you it will mean more to me than if i killed him myself. i have often said that if i did not kill another deer in my life i still have been blessed with more than enough, i will never go to the woods with the thought "Somethings gonna die".

BTW i have not seen or heard of the show, but then again i quit watchin that junk years ago, i like real world experience

Merry Christmas buddy
Old 12-21-2006, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good post and great respect where it counts - The animals we pursue.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:15 PM

TDWW, I absolutley could not have said it better myself. I hunt in GA, and have had some of the fondest memories of my life camping and trout fishingin the Chestatee WMA, and hunting with my Dad and friends. I feel the exact same way that you do. I hate the "murdering" type of hunters that get off from the kill more than anything else. I thank God every time I get a chance to hunt, fish, or enjoy the outdoors. I also pray for the bountiful harvest of the "FOOD" that I am about to kill. Hunters should appreciate the fact that God provided all that we take from Mother Nature, and too many people take that fact for granted.
As I said in a post the other day, I dont know if you read it, but it was the one about "slob hunters" and that guy*Deleted* about other hunters. I am a "meat" hunter. I love the sport, but If I did'nt love venison even more, I would not even be hunting. I can guarantee that there are grown men that have cried when they shot their first deer as an adult. If 100 hunters said that none of them have ever cried or the sort after killing a deer or other game.....at least 10% of them would be liars and another 20% are the "murdering" type of hunter with numb emotion.
I killed my first deer this year...a 190lb 8 point buck...and I felt bad for taking his life, and offered a prayer of thanks to God for it. Us southern boys are really in love with the outdoors, and nature in general....by the way, this is NOT implying that Northerners dont feel the same.
God bless America...one of the VERY FEW countries in the word where a person can hunt with freedoms............
Old 12-21-2006, 02:29 PM
Site Buck Guru

This post demands it. I know exactly how you feel. This is the best season of my life and I haven't killed anything. I'm still trying though! Respect!
Old 12-21-2006, 03:53 PM

Awsome post! Merry Christmas!
Old 12-21-2006, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Respect given there TDWW,

Merry Christmas to you
Old 12-21-2006, 05:46 PM
Typical Buck

That is a very good post TD...I think that it is very important to take the time and thank the lord and the animal that you have harvested...I dont consider a successfull hunt as in killing something,,just being able to get out in the woods and have the opportunity to go on a hunt is sucessfull in its self.

Quick Reply: "Something's Gonna Die..."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.