Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent blocker clothing useless??

Old 12-19-2006, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Scent blocker clothing useless??

I've been reading alot of posts about these carbon clothes not working. Where are you guys getting your info from. In the past Ive read a lot of good posts on these clothes.

I am not trying to say your wrong,I just missed the boat on the announcement that these clothes don't work anymore. Ive never bought any of the clothes myself, I just wondered when or how you guys figured this out all of a sudden.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:23 PM

Default RE: Scent blocker clothing useless??

Duckbutter, why does it matter? If you don't own any, then you shouldn't care.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:11 PM

Default RE: Scent blocker clothing useless??

I own some boots, so let me know.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:13 PM

Default .

http://www.fastestbows.com/articles/corrigan/scent_suits.htm

that was posted in the hunting gear reviews forum.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .

People who manufacture it and sell it swear by it.

People who don't have it think it's worthless.

Half the people who have it think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Half the people who have it don't really know whether it works or not.

I have some, don't use it all the time, have been winded with it on, not been winded with it on, been winded without having it on, and not been winded without having it on.

Does it work? My conclusion is that I haven't a clue.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:47 PM
Spike

I'd say isatarak said it best. All kinds of scenarios could happen. I have friends that use it and swear by it. Others who have had no luck with it helping out.

I personally have never used any of it. I sit in my stand, wear the same clothes pulled out of a box from the end of the last season, smoke cigs, etc., and I see a lot of deer walk right under my stand.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never used it, but my opinion is that it is a money maker. Simple as that. Same with a bunch of other stuff on the market. The most successful hunter I know, still/stalk hunts. He wears blue jeans and a lined flannel jacket. He smokes either a pipe or a cigar while hunting. He says he does this for two reasons. First is to see the wind, the second is because he is trying to enjoy himself. I think most of us could use practice more than any of the products on the market. I stalk hunt also, and I thought I was pretty good at it, until I hunted with this old guy. He moves twice as fast, with half the noise. I've looked and they don't sell anything to fix my problem... I've just got to accept the fact that I need to practice more.

Two years ago was my very worst season ever. It was also the only season I used scent killer sprays. I was winded more that year than all my other years combined. Spray the stuff on your hand and smell it. It smells like soap. As far as I can tell, simply hanging your clothes outside most of the season and washing with water only is the best practice. Also, try to make sure you never sweat in your clothes. Either walk slower or take a layer off.

It's all about the money$$$
Good luck
KP
Old 12-20-2006, 07:50 AM
Spike

Default Maybe...

I have a scent blocker coat, pants. Does it work magic? No. My number one priority whether i have it on or not is wind direction. You could run a marathon in july naked, carrying a gas can and kill a deer,,, if your downwind....jmo
Old 12-20-2006, 08:27 AM

Default RE: Maybe...

I always think of the carbon-based chemical suites that we used in the Army. They slowly deteriorated from the time you opened them and exposed them to air, and after a few days they were pretty much of little use in protecting from chemicals. I know that nerve agents and such are a little different than scent, but I just do not believe, based on what I have read/heard regarding carbon-based suits/clothing that they will work even remotely enough to make their expense worth it for even a single hunt.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Maybe...

The basis of the argument against them is that in order to "recharge" the carbon you have to reheat it to way higher a temperature than a dryer can reach, to a point that the cloth would burn up as well.

Anecdotal evidence says it works, physics/chemistry says it doesn't.

My question is can it be 'a little bit' recharged by getting to a temp a high setting on the dryer can get to.

On the anecdotal evidence its impossible to say for sure that the deer would or wouldn't have smelled them without the scent block/lock clothing.

Quick Reply: Scent blocker clothing useless??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.