Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I have a question

Old 12-18-2006, 11:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default I have a question

Hello all

Well today I went out to some public land that I have been frequenting all season. Slow cold day, so I figured Id hike back and pick up this coyote skull that I founda few weeks back.The area that I found it in contained2 turtle shells, a hawk feather,most of a coyote skeloton, and some really large leg bones and some vertibre (spelling),and2 piles of other bird feathers. All within about 30 feet. I thought it was kinda strange then but I didnt give it much thought. Well today when I went back to retrieve the coyote skull. Well right on top of the skull was a hind leg of a deer. I looked up about 10 feet and there was another, I looked behind me and I saw the rest of the carcas. What was left of it anyway. It was a deer that I had seen on thanksgiving. He has 2 points on one side and the left side was broken off.

Well what im wondering is what is going on out there? Is it coyotes? is it a pack of dogs? They had to drag the carcass up and down some really steep lake drainage areas. I have a tough time getting back into the area. I just always assumed that they would eat what they found where they found it, not drag it back to thier little home to chow down. I dont know if they brought down the deer or if someone shot it or it could have been hit by a car. could a pack of coyote bring him down. Could coyotes drag him all that way. I figure it had to be atleast 1/4 mile back to thier secret lair.

I have seen three bucks on the section I huntbut only one doe. Maybe something is eating them. I need to invest in a trail camera to find out for sure, just curious if anyone has come across this. Maybe it is normal and im the crazy one.

I found this print about two miles from the deer carcass. I havent seen any on the south section though

Old 12-18-2006, 11:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: I have a question

And yes I have already rulled out bigfoot. He loves forest creatures. Then again it could be El Chupicabra but he only sucks the blood
Old 12-19-2006, 03:27 AM

As far as i could tell from your picture, that track does NOT have claw marks, plus the two middle toes sit a little ahead...I would have to say a Bobcat...maybe a panther, but I don't think so...use a little caution from now on and try to identify its "scratch post"
Wildcats here in Kentucky tend to cover up thier kills(as opposed to the panter protecting thiers),sometimes only a single branch is used , you can pretty much be sure on it being a bobcat, if evidece of attempting to hide the food is found.
Also the bobcat scattends to containmore evidence of small game as apposed to the panther's scat which is made up of almost entire deer hair.
Try finding more evidence.
If you collect a good scat sample be sure to collect it in a brown bag so fungi does not sit in as quick...get it to your local biologist asap, if you are that interested.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:57 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: davs2601

And yes I have already rulled out bigfoot. He loves forest creatures. Then again it could be El Chupicabra but he only sucks the blood

Old 12-19-2006, 04:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would rule out a bobcat, thats a dog track.. It isn't round enough for a cat. In my area that would be a wolf.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Look at the middle toes, I think there's some claw marks.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with youngbuns on this one. Those look like claws, and that would lead me to believe that you are looking at the tracks of a canine.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Too big to be a coyote or bobcat, i would have to say a wolf. looks to be a 4.5 inches total to the front of the track.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

That looks like a coyote track, but it seems too big to me. It's not a cat. Coyote tracks don't show as much claw as a dog. I don't think it's a dog either. I really can't say about wolf since I have never seen a wolf track.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:18 PM
Typical Buck

now that i think about it I looked at the results from 2003 that they had posted on the departments website and it said that only one deer was taken all season. I found it strange because i ha seen a six point and a really good 8 point in this little area. Maybe whatever predator is out there is killing all the deer. I think im going to give the biologist a call to see if he knows anything. thanks guys

Quick Reply: I have a question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.