Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ever thought of this??

Old 12-14-2006, 09:26 AM

Default Ever thought of this??

hey guys and gals,

i was laying in bed last night pondering over my finals here at psu.. and i thought came to my head... this may be a dump thought and my brain seems to be deteriating this week due to my finals.. haha. but anyways..

if there are so many "meat" hunters out there... why does everyone cut off the antlers if they shoot a buck? some people say they are meat hunting and could care less if its a small spike or a giant 12 point, why not leave the antlers on the head?

im just curious to what everyone has to say.. i know cut off the antlers and put them on a board when my dad or i shoot a buck... but im just curiuos if there is anyone out there that doesnt.. thanks!

jimmymo
Old 12-14-2006, 10:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ever thought of this??

AT our wildlife federation we have a hide depot, it is a fund raiser but also provides hunters with a place to rid themselves of the hides. Any way it is common to see deer and even smaller moose racks still attached. So there are hunters here who don't save the antlers. Though these left racks often go missing before the hide p/u. As a lot of guys patrol it for furniture or knife building.

I myself keep the hornsnowfor additional memories or to use for rattling purposes. I regret not doing so prior! I only kept my first bucks killed with rifle and bow.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

For some, antlers regardless of what size , are trophies. I have kept every set of antlers from every deer I have ever killed, even the spikes. I guess it's like a collection. I don't make anything from them, I just have them. I do have three bucks mounted also.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:49 AM

yeah same here... i still have every one that i have shot. it just came across my mind that i bet there are some people out there who just dont care about the antlers and probably dispose of them...
Old 12-14-2006, 11:05 AM

because inside every meat hunter is an unsuccessful trophy hunter that is ashamed of shooting a small buck. They then fall back on the security that they are "meat" hunters.. I know many of them..and they are slob hunters at best
Old 12-14-2006, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

There's some pretty neat things that are made from deer antlers, a couple years ago I got a whistle made out of the tip of a deer antler for Christmas as a stocking stuffer. I still have it somewhere.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: salty

because inside every meat hunter is an unsuccessful trophy hunter that is ashamed of shooting a small buck. They then fall back on the security that they are "meat" hunters.. I know many of them..and they are slob hunters at best
Salty I think that is a little assuming. I know many guys who are meat hunters they could careless if the animal they shoot even has antlers protuding from its head. I also know people who are both, I being one of them! I view them equally as icing on the cake when it comes to this sport!

Not doubting your claim about those you know but assimulating it to the masses????
Old 12-14-2006, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some guys keep them some don't. We tack them up on the smokehouse beside our hunting cabin it adds a nice touch and when we are outside cooking out and stuffthey can be good conversation pieces...like

"Remember thae day we killed that one, it was snowing an you fell in the creek....."

They add to the atmosphere at the camp and help out our deteriorating memories. We also have a photo board inside and it has just about all the deer we've killed on it, does and bucks.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:57 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: salty

That's one of the more ignorant posts I've read...
Old 12-14-2006, 02:10 PM
Spike

I am new here to the forums and new to hunting. I started hunting this year and took two deer, young buck and a doe. I let my buddy take the 6-point that came in and I have no heartache that he got the rack and not me. I literally am hunting for the meat and totally hooked on the hunt itself.

Iwould really like to know what you consider a "slob hunter"?

Quick Reply: Ever thought of this??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.