Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

sad story

Old 11-24-2002, 10:05 AM

Default sad story

was sitting on the firebreak of a field when 5 does came my way. They walked right under my stand and I decided to take the last on in the line. She stopped and I had to make a shot looking right down on her. Well, I hit that deer and she went running off and the others scattered into the field. I thought I had missed the first one so I picked out another one and shot her too. She went right down so I assumed I had got a clean kill of her. I climbed down and decided to go get a bite to eat while before tracking them. When I went back to get my deer I saw that I had indeed hit the first one in the gut. I went to the second one I shot because I knew it was down. Well as I got to her I saw that she was still breathing and very much alive. I had broke her spine. I have hunted a long time and never seen a deer in that sort of shape. She was trying to move but just couldn't get up. It really made me feel bad. I decided to go back to my truck and get a gun to finish her instead of cutting her throat.

I just feel bad to have let her suffer that long
Old 11-24-2002, 01:33 PM

Default RE: sad story

Chris,

What you have admitted is difficult for many to offer a response.

But, I will offer you my thoughts as I would my own son. At this moment you are feeling saddened by your actions. You should be! Instead of waiting for the Stag to follow you chose a doe. You then compounded the error by not following her. You took a second shot because of emotion or greed.

Instead of pre-scouting for the direction of a blood trail you left to fill your stomach. When you did find the wounded animal you did not dispatch her but, left her to suffer while you conveniently walked back to your vehicle for a weapon you should have already had. Son, you screwed up.

It’s over, let this be a hard earned lesson and become a better hunter. Hunting is not for the killing, but, for the rewards that nature provides. Get yourself over to the shooting range and learn to place each bullet. While there discuss ethical values with other hunters. You have learned to hunt now learn the values of hunting. When you do this you will undoubtedly become a noble hunter.

Sermon over, John
Old 11-24-2002, 01:46 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>You took a second shot because of emotion or greed.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
I took a second shot because I was sure I missed the first deer. I assumed I had a clean shot on the second deer the way it fell right down. I was gonna leave her to die off so I wouldn't spook her anymore and make her run off(at the time I didn't know I had just hit her in the spine). I was sure I missed the first one because of the angle I tried to shoot(straight down)

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Instead of pre-scouting for the direction of a blood trail you left to fill your stomach<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
huh? It dropped where I shot it.

There wasn't gonna be a buck behind it because have hardly any where I hunt and we are trying to get rid of the many, many does we have.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>When you did find the wounded animal you did not dispatch her but, left her to suffer while you conveniently walked back to your vehicle for a weapon you should have already had. Son, you screwed up.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
My truck was right behind me so its not like she suffered for much longer

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>While there discuss ethical values with other hunters<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
I don't understand what ethical values you are talking about? I
Old 11-24-2002, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

&quot;I was sure I missed the first one because of the angle I tried to shoot(straight down)&quot;

Lesson one: Don't ever assume anything. You should have gotten down and confirmed the miss before ever even thinking of a second shot.

Lesson two: Don't take low percentage shots i.e. shots through brush, straight down shots, shots at bad angles, facing shots etc.

Lesson three: Get your ass to the range and learn to shoot and stop trying to justify your mistakes. Learn from them and don't repeat them.
Old 11-24-2002, 02:37 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Lesson one: Don't ever assume anything. You should have gotten down and confirmed the miss before ever even thinking of a second shot.

So I should have gotten down checked to see if I hit the first deer and then climbed back up in the tree and shoot the other deer(which would very likely not still be there)

Did either of you even read my first post?
Old 11-24-2002, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

You bet you should have gotten down and checked. That is part of your responsibility to the animal as an ethical hunter. If the other deer ran off then tough, but at least you would have known you had one to track. BTW, I did read your first post, and your second, and your third, problem is you are so busy trying to defend your actions which were pure stupidity and inexperience that you aren't going to learn from them. We have all done stupid things, but most of us bite the bullet, take the kick in the pants and learn. You might figure out one of these days that it is about the hunt, not the kill.

Edited by - frizzellr on 11/24/2002 15:54:35
Old 11-24-2002, 03:56 PM

although i do agree that what he did what wrong in some ways, i think that a lot of the people here would have done the same thing under those circumstances. he was really sure that he had completely missed, and there were still a good number of deer in range sitting around.
now i do agree with one thing that was said. if u gutshot a deer and then spined one, all prolly within 20 yds or less, you do need some more practice.
Old 11-24-2002, 07:09 PM

yes you should have gotten out of your stand to check for blood. just because a deer runs off doesnt mean it wasnt hit. my brother double lunged a doe at 12yards that ran 300 yards after ward. he shot her with a 300gr hollowpoint over 100gr of BP, which packs a wallop at a range like that and she ran off.
always look first. there will be other deer.

propmahn
save the world, reload your brass

Old 11-24-2002, 07:09 PM

Chirs,

I read your post and I am truly, sorry. At the least you felt for the deer and it's suffering.

However, I read what, Jsmart, had to say. It is said with harshness but I completely understand his and the others valid points, and being stern helps get it through.

Your not the first one to make a bad shot or misiterpited a shot. I have too shot at deer, and thought I totally missed them. At the same time I still took the time to DOUBLE check.

I did in fact take the deer, hitting it in the lungs. Most of all have in some way or shape had our own short comings.

You live and learn. Listen to the good advise that others have to offer.

Good luck!

KEEP HUNTING THE GREAT OUTDOORS & GOD ALIVE, PASS IT ON!
Old 11-24-2002, 07:14 PM

&quot;Did either of you even read my first post?&quot; Yes, Chris I did read your first post. That is why I responded to your message.

&quot;was sitting on the firebreak of a field when 5 does came my way. Normally, the Does run before the Bucks.&quot; During rut the Bucks will be behind Does to warn him in the event of danger.

&quot;They walked right under my stand and I decided to take the last on in the line. She stopped and I had to make a shot looking right down on her.&quot; You should never have taken the shot, but, waited until it was a proper time to pull the trigger.

Well, I hit that deer and she went running off and the others scattered into the field.&quot; When they separated leaving one alone, in the wake of your shot, you should realized that you had hit her.

I thought I had missed the first one so I picked out another one and shot her too.&quot; At this point you had already reloaded anticipating another shot. You took that shot at running deer.

She went right down so I assumed I had got a clean kill of her. I climbed down and decided to go get a bite to eat while before tracking them. When I went back to get my deer I saw that I had indeed hit the first one in the gut. I went to the second one I shot because I knew it was down. Well as I got to her I saw that she was still breathing and very much alive. I had broke her spine. I have hunted a long time and never seen a deer in that sort of shape. She was trying to move but just couldn't get up. It really made me feel bad. I decided to go back to my truck and get a gun to finish her instead of cutting her throat.&quot; I already spoke of this.

Chris, I’m sorry to have hurt your feelings but, you need to rethink your attitude. No one is trying to hurt you. The responses you receive are from your friends; for your benefit and the well-being of the hunting community. We have all been through similar circumstances at one point or another. Be thankful that you have so many comrade in arms wanting to help. John
<font size=4></font id=size4><font color=black></font id=black><font size=3></font id=size3>

Quick Reply: sad story

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.