Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

High Velocity Shotgun Slugs

Old 12-12-2006, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default High Velocity Shotgun Slugs

I am curious to how many of you deer hunters now use the new slugs made by Hornady, Remington and Winchester? What distance have you taken a deer? What gun shoots which one best? Opinoins on the New England Ultra Slugger, 12ga or 20ga?Which slug?
Thank You
Old 12-12-2006, 04:34 PM

Default RE: High Velocity Shotgun Slugs

i use a Remington 870 20 gauge with 2 3/4 inch winchester super x's. next year im going to 3 inchers now that they came out with them. shoots good out to about 40 yards.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:42 PM

My kids have a 20 w/ a rifled, ported barrel.
We have shot Win Partition Gold Sabots (about 1900 fps I think) and the Copper Solid sabots (don't remember who makes them.).

It shoots very well with the Partition Gold Copper clad sabots. It does ok with the others. I have shot them to 100 yards on paper and they do very well. I could stay within 3 inches or so.

They have only shot two deer with them, both within 50 yards. The effect was immediate and devestating. They do cause the gun to buck a bit though. One of my sons would much rather shoot our cut down muzzle loader than the 20 with the high velocity slugs.

I would say these would work very well to 150 yards or so, based on our limited experience.

Hank
Old 12-12-2006, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

ahankster - Have your kids shoot the 12g versions of those shells in a lightweight shotgun! On the bench, I stop at 3-4 shots, as they tear my shoulder up. I shot a box and a half one year, and my shoulder killed the rest of the day.

They just started making the 12g Partition Golds in a 3" shell that shoot 2000fps instead of the 2 & 3/4's 1900fps. I'm going to give those a try at the range and see if I can manage to shoot those...
Old 12-12-2006, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tried the remington corelokt sabots and the recoil was too nasty. I like the federals. they shoot the best out of my 870.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

The high velocity slugs do pack a wallop. I have tried them in my 12 ga. USH Deluxe and do not care for them.They do not deliver any increased accuracy over my slugs of choice for my 12 ga. USH, Brenneke 3" Gold Magnums and 2-3/4" Heavy Field Magnums.Is the gun heavy? At 8 lbs or so - yes. But very accurate. Very.

We also bought a 20 ga. USHfor my oldest son. It also likes Brenneke. However, I stumbled upon ALOT of 3" Remington Copper Solids on clearance for about $4/box if I remember right. The 20 ga. shoots these as well as the Brennekes. It is a real "tack driver", probobly a touch more accurate than my 12.

Can't speak of any long shots on the 20 ga. but I've dropped deer out to 150 in their tracks with the 12. The USH put the slugs where theyneeded to be and the Brennekes did the rest. They hit like a brick.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:18 AM

I shoot the Hornady SST out of my H&R ultra slug in 20 ga. Managed to take a deer with this setup at the end of our shotgun season. Very impressed with the results. Managed a one lung hit but she only went 110 yards. Inside was like jelly when I gutted it. Wished I could of found the slug but it passed through
Old 12-13-2006, 09:24 AM
Fork Horn

I use the Remington 12 gauge core-lokt sabots. I sighted them in at fifty yards and 100 yards. I use a fully rifled barrel for mine. At fifty they are dead on. At 100 they were a little low but the wind was blowing the day I sighted them in. The box says they are sighted in a 150 yards. I shot a buck with them at 70 yards and blew his heart out. He only went 20 yards and dropped. The entry hole was so small you couldn't even see it. The exit hole was only about two inches in diameter. But it did the job. The recoil is not that bad, it is just the same as any slug I have shot. I would shoot anything out to about 120 yards or so until I got use to them and then I would try shooting farther. Overall I like them.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:44 PM

Great Question,
I posted this answer in another section but in my 870 I use the Remington Golden Saber slugs with a rifled choke tube. They are deadly at about 80 yards or so. At 100 yards they tend to fall a little faster than I would care to chance on a nice buck.
Good Luck with all your hunts with that 870, it's a great gun.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:25 PM
Spike

I just got the H&R Ultra Slug Hunter 12 this year. I really like it a lot. I agree with what someone else said: when shooting the high-velocity slugs out of this gun, it really packs a wallop. So far I've only shot Hornady SST 300 gr, and they seemed to do OK.

I plan on trying some different things next year as I got the gun pretty late in the season.

One reccomendation I would give: I'm 5' 10", 190# and after shooting 10 rounds of the Hornady SST with that gun, I wanted my mommy! It really packs a punch.

So if you're a smaller, or even average size guy, go with the 20 ga. It will be easier to manage, flatter shooting and have plenty of oomph to take a deer down.

Quick Reply: High Velocity Shotgun Slugs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.