Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
I use factory loads most the time
34.15%
I use reloads most the time
39.02%
I would like to learn how to reload my own ammo
26.83%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Factory or Reload or Ammo

Old 12-11-2006, 11:46 AM

Default Factory or Reload or Ammo

Just curious on this subject. I am goanna say that most hunters use factory ammo but would like to reload their own. I have read about it and considered it, But the factory ammo I have used has not failed me and is accurate enough to kill. Other than saving $$$ and maybe a stitch better in grouping. What other benifets can someone offer to us who would like to try it? Maybe this should of been in the reload section, But I wanted to see what the response would be from all groups on this subject. You can pick multiple answers.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Factory or Reload or Ammo

Depends on the application. For competition (sporting clays and pistol matches), I reload because of the sheer volume of ammo I use. But, for hunting, I use factory stuff.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:54 AM

I've only ever shot factory loads and for the forseeable future it'll probably stay that way. I'm simply not interested in trying to reload at the moment.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:02 PM
Fork Horn

If one does a lot of shooting, whether it be rifle or handgun calibers, you will save money reloading your own ammo. The key here is to shoot a lot, that is where the savings part comes in. If you only hunt and fire a box of cartridges to sight in and that's it, then reloading is not for you. If you really enjoy shooting and fire thousands of rounds a year like I do, then reloading is something you should consider.

Thousands of rounds a year? I know some will scratch their head and wonder so I'll explain. I do a lot of pistol shooting, 9mm, .40 S&W, .45ACP, etc. Shooting a lot with a pistol is easy and doesn't beat up the body as much as high power rifle shooting. I have a 7mm Mag. that I might put about 100 rounds through a year and that's it.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would like to learn to reload if i had the extra time and money. right now i shoot what i buy.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:14 PM
Fork Horn

I shot two deer this year with factory loads. First ever in my 270 since 1975. I have used speer hot cor 150's longer than I can remember. You can taylor your loads with handloads.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Reload because I enjoy the hobby aspect(personal satisfaction), more shooting and being able to taylor my loads for the gun and application. I don't have to rely on a ammo manufacturer to load a certain bullet I am interested in as it is available as a component.

It isn't really any cheaper when you consider the cost of the equipment.etc but very rewarding from my perspective.

Old 12-11-2006, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

How about i reload but I dont have the time so I am stuck hunting with factory stuff at the moment..lol.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

For me, reloading is an enjoyable and rewarding hobby...

I like to work up custom loads for my rifles and take game with them..

I take a certain amount ofsatisfaction in the fact that several of my rifles have never had a factory load run through them.. I don't do it to save money, although I think there are savings to be had if a person shoots a lot..

Many popular chamberings have a wide variety of excellent factory loads available...With some of the more obscure or less popular rounds, factory loads can be improved upon considerably with judiscious handloading...
Old 12-11-2006, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I keep waiting for the money saving part of reloading, I havent found that yet.
IMO its very relaxing when I go back into my reloading room, work and other crap just seems to go away. Theres very little time to think about what a tool my boss is when Im deciding what depth to seata bullet.

Other then the obvious gain of accuracy the biggest reason I got into it was the velocity gain reloaders get above factory stuff. When you can reload a 7mm-08 speeds close to what the factory 7mm Rem mag come in, it makes your reloads that much more viable for the time it takes to do them. Realistically though I understand that factory loads are more than accurate and fast enough for hunting. There's just something about the satisfaction you get from getting a load 3 grains above max and shooting under an inch groups with it for me anyway. I know not all agree faster is better, most will agree faster is flatter though which makes me a more accurate shooter in the field.

Quick Reply: Factory or Reload or Ammo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.