Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

No Blood No Deer?

Old 12-11-2006, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: No Blood No Deer

Wow, I've been around hunters my entire life and this site is the only place that I've ever seen people jump on people for every little thing... It is quite sad.

Merlin11274 make sure you search throughly. I too have found deer that did not leave any blood. Hope you guys find it and if not get her'back on the horse' and let her get one. She seems like she really likes huntin'.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:45 AM
Fork Horn

The way the deer reacted it sounds like a hit to me. Just because you saw no blood doesn't mean you missed.

I'll give you a few examples. A few years ago i was hunting in the mountains with a buddy from school. We were walking a cutline at dawn and came across a nice young wt buck stuffing his face with the clover that was growing on the line. I took my time, waited for a broadside and shot from about 150 yards. We landmarked where he was and immediately went to see if we had sign of a hit. No luck. After a few minutes of waiting for the sun to get a little higher we located his tracks and followed for at least 150 yards, no blood, no hair, andno sign to indicate a hit At this point we started to doubt the shot but decided that it was best to spread out and keep going in the same directionjust in case. 300 yards later my buddy hollers to me that he found him, stone dead from a bullet through both lungs. 450yds (mostly downhill) is a heck of a long way for a mortally wounded deer to go but he made it somehow. When we opened him up we found the reason why he didn't leave a trail. My bullet had entered one shoulder passed throught his lungs and buried itself just under the hide behind his shoulder on the othe side The fact that that deer made it that far on three pegs is even more impressive to me. When we gutted him, we found that he had bled out into the space between his front leg and his torso. We even backtracked him and could not find blood.

The second example happened to me last year. Hunting with a different partner we caught a big wt on a cutline next to a field early one morning. I had time and the deer offered a nice quartering away shot from 255yrds. At the shot, he took off but wasn't in a panic like he'd been hit. We waited and after 20 minutes went to look. We found his tracks immediately and followed them. there was no hair, no blood and no signs of a hit. There was heavy frost that morning so we were able to follow him for several hundred yards. After 1/2mile we concluded not hit and went back to the truck. fast forward several months and my hunting partner is out shed hunting this spring and stops by the landowners house to ask a question. Te landowner asks if we ever found the deer we shot at last year to which buddy replies no. Landowner takes him to the shed and shows him the rack from the buck and tellshim that he picked it up when he was checking fence in the spring. The deer wa found not 200 yards from where we stopped looking. My partner knew this was the buck immediately as he was quite unique and at least a 170 rack. needless tosay, I still feel sick over the whole thing but at the time we were convinced that there was no hit.

The moral, always go asfaras you can after a shot. Never doubt your shot and don't leave a track even if there's no blood. Just because you've never seen a deer act a certain way doesn't mean you missed. Hope this helps, good luck next time.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:48 AM

Thanks tourangeaud,
I posted I made the mistake of letting her do it. I made a bad judgement call. She handled the 30-30 well at the range and I didnt think there would be much difference between it and the .243 but I was wrong. The mistake wasI wasnt aware and she didnt let on to me she was a little nervous about shooting it. I shoul dhave made her shoot it some first. I admitted it itn my post.Funny how people take what they want out of a post and go with it.
We did a grid search for 2hrs. nothing anywhere. It was dishearting we couldn't find any sign. She was using a scope that I did have sighted in. the dear was at 75 yards. Gun was scoped in at 100 yards. "Ballistically" wasnt much differnce in trajectory at 75 vs 100.
When we went sunday to let her shot it I shot it first to make sure it was on target and it was. It took her about 3 shots to get it in the center. The first shot she was low to the left about 5 inches. Her "Flinching" but after she took the first shot she relaized it wasnt bad. Her second shot was much closer. After that she had no problems getting it in the center cricle. Now she feels confident enough. The next shot will be meat in the freezer.
She could of hit it but we found nothing.

so still curious. How do you say I can't shoot? Do you know me have you seen me shoot. No you havent. I made a bad judgment call and now you label me as someone not capable because of some made up fantasy in your mind about me. I will be more then glad to share targets with you.
People like you is what give hunters a bad name. Those who can honestly admit their wrongs do not.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:48 AM
Typical Buck

Well i think everyone here just needs to calmn down,because s**t happens and you miss,not the end of the world.But as for merlin saying that the deer reared up after the shot,I was muzzleloader hunting last year and i was over looking a very steep hill the deer was going across and a 6 pt came out and at about 50 shot and the deer fell down and rolled down to the bottom of the hill,i was sure i had him. When he got to the bottom he got up and ran off.I sat there for 15 mins and went to look and no blood and no hair.I looked all that day for him and i never found no sign of a hit.For the record i was using and old old flint lock muzzleloader.I guess that the shot just scared it and caused it to lose its footing.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:55 AM
Fork Horn

If you genuinely feel that you did everything possible then there's not a lot you can do. My only suggestion would be to go back a day or so later and look for ravens or magpies (or whatever carrion birds you have in your area) as they can sometimes lead you to a kill. I believe now that if we had gone back the next day and looked for ravens we would have found that deer. Best of luck next time and don't let your wife give up on hunting. take her to do some shooting and gain some confidence back then give her another try.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:57 AM

was it an off hand shot? if so anyone could have missed that.
heck I've seen people miss on a shooting rail...
hope she has better luck next time tho...also, it sounds like the deer might be dead...I've shot some that ran one hundred yards and not bleed a drop and still go down...even if they were hit in the lungs.

as for killer...
if you have nothing helpfull or nice to say don't post!
I mean going off on someone who is new here? c'mon!

Also peta feeds on everything we post here so it really dose not matter.
those people hate us and what we do.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate

ORIGINAL: Merlin11274

I love my Marlin 30-30. I have yet to take a deer with it and my wife missed a chance last hunting season with it. Shot breathed on the scope while trying to spot the Deer. It fogged up on her, so I had to take the shot with my Rem. M700 .270
I hunt mainly with the .270 it was my first rifle. My dad a couple years later gave me the 30-30. Said would be a good woods gun for me.
But I mainly hunt fields and power lines where the shots will range from 100-175yards.
Main reason I dont hunt with the 30-30 is confidence. I lack it with it cause I have yet to kill a deer. Shot at one at 125 yards. and watch the bullet hit the dirt in front of the deer. I had it sighted in at 75yards. Bullet dropped to much for me. If I would have had it set to 100 I might would have got the deer. But cause of the miss. I hung it up. But love to take it and shot targets with it.
Last year since the wife wanted to hunt I moved in closer. Put my Stand within 75 yards of the corn pile. We saw the one deer. While she was with me. I usually went to another stand and took down a few. I just dont like being so close to the deer could be why I havent bought a bow yet.
But as far as the 30-30 being a hunting round. Close range anytime. Will use it next year. Found a nice spot in the woods with a 50 yard max shot. Will try to closer up hunting then.
Unquote:

Merlin,
Were those not your words above? Talk about interesting, I'm glad you called me out! Kind of confusing to say the least...

You aimed the 30/30 ata deera 125 yards away and hit the dirt in front of it. That is your quote, which tells me, you didn't have a clue how to sight thatgun in, which really isn't a problem, but, youwrote this on 12/5/2006, and didn’t say anything about correcting the problem to date, other than "shooting the gun and getting better"! Which sounds really admirable here, until you read your other post where you simply hung this gun up, since it is only a close range shooter!? Just so you know, that gun is perfectly capable of taking a deer at 125 yards and beyond. You just need to know how to shoot it, or I guessI should say adjust it. So really, you've done nothing. Except maybe go the range and hear a loud bang.
Your wife is now doing what you were doing at age what? While under who's supervision? You comment about me being overly upset. I am. Anti hunters comb through forums just like these and they quote us. That is why I said you represent us. I stand behind my comments to you, because it upsets me to be placed next to you. You haven't taken the time to know how to shoot. You hand off these poor skills as acceptable to your wife and I'm assuming your children one day. You post threads about a deer that maybe you missed or maybe you hit? Hmmmm??? What should I do??? Guess what, the computer won't help you find your deer. Either go learn how to shoot, or don't shoot at them anymore. And if you decide to go shoot at them the way you are now, that's fine too, just don't post it here, in a public place. Further, if you decide to keep doing things the way you've been doing them, and keep posting them, that is your right. But hunters like me don't and won't like it, and we'll speak up about it. And we'll bash your thread so that hopefully you won't post ones like it anymore.
Here is what you should do;
1. Go buy a book called "Shoot better II". It will teach you how to shoot and provide you with all kinds of data onmost of the different calibers and projectiles.
2.Go buy a hunting book. Maybe one that the NRA put out, or any other that has a section on ethics.
3.Apply what you've read/hopefully learned, and teach your wife, children and any others that you may have some influence on todo what is right. And in case you're wondering -anew hunter (your wife) under your guidance, shooting a gun that she's never shot, at a deer, while being supervised by someonewho can't seem to grasp the basics, is not RIGHT.

tourangeaud,

Please, my father did in fact reward my efforts as a young boy. But he was able to think, logically. He spent time with me and my brother, teaching us all that he could. He knew our capabilities and expected us to use what we'd been given. Not only were we taught the technical data associated with shooting, but ethical shots and shot placement. We passed on a lot of animals, so my answer to you is, I'm not out of line, you are accepting substandard hunting practices. My father would never scold me for not taking a shot, but to miss the target, is a failure.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the guy holding the gun the one who is responsible, no matter what happens to the bullet once it is fired? And if it didn't hit the target, where did it go? Ultimately resulting in - you shot something that you didn't intend to shoot, which I don't find acceptable.

Sorry,

I'm done with this thread.

Still confused? Hell yes I'm confused, well not really. You seem confused on how to get out of this tangley web of deception...

You wrote the quote about the 30/30 on 12-5-2006 and called it a "marlin". So please explain to me why I'm confused.
Thanks

P.S.
Yes, I said you can't shoot. I still say it, because everything you've wrote points me to that conclusion. You didn't write one thing that tells me that you can.
I've got a question for you Merlin;
What is the definition of "point blank range"? Answer quickly now...
Old 12-11-2006, 11:00 AM

Thanks guys. I guess I should have expressed how sickened I am about it.
Just wanted to share an experience. Didn't know that would be the welcome I got.
But I have found every deer but this one. I have always be very thorough in how I search. The furtherst I have had one run on me was100 yards with my .270 But We went as far as to the adjacent propery about 200 yards away. Didn't want to get caught in there so we back tracked. Its in some pines and under brush isnt to bad. I made sure we looked into every thicket we found. But by then it was 7:30 and dark and cold. We will give it another go. we got till Jan1 to get her one. Her next attempt will either be the 16th or 22nd depends on how things go.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Waiting...
Old 12-11-2006, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

If my post does no good what good does bashing someone for sharing a story. Its life. If you have never missed a Deer I will dare call you a liar. Merlin11274
I completely agree with Merlin11274, It happens! yeah i agree he should have had her shoot before, but this situation does happen! Just this last weekend, my uncle shot at a 12 pointer, watched it fall, flop around for awhile and then finally rest. He sat for an hour, and the deer got up and ran away, no blood hair or anything, so you never know, don't be so harsh you don't know the facts! killer.

Quick Reply: No Blood No Deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.