Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My buddies think I'm crazy!!!

Old 12-05-2006, 03:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default My buddies think I'm crazy!!!

This year I killed a few does on the farms with my centerfire, to get meat in the freezer, and help control the population...Then started using my flintlock for fun...Opening week of rifle season I called in a nice 8 point...Had him at 35-40 yards, but just didn't feel comfortable with the shot, he was following some holly trees and with open sights I didn't take the shot...With my .243 and scope it would have been easy...

Well, Saturday evening at 5:30 he shows up again....Sundown is at 5:05, so he was 5 minutes before legal shooting time is over...At 25 yards, I could not see my front sight....With a scope, no problem...When I told my hunting buddies they thought I was crazy not to use a centerfire during rifle season...I have killed 2 does this year with the flinter and I truly love it...It puts the hunt back into the game...

This doesn't bother me one bit...I hate to think I need to hunt just for the antlers and actually enjoy hunting more than I ever have (I'm 51)...Just to be in the woods and watch the sunrise or set makes my hunt complete...I don't really need the meat, and while he is a "good" buck, he is in no way the best I have ever killed...Guess what I'm saying, with a flintlock he is a real "trophy"...With a centerfire...Just another nice rack to go on the wall...

Well...Am I crazy???
Old 12-05-2006, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My buddies think I'm crazy!!!

To me you are not. I think there is more to hunting then killing.

Old 12-05-2006, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

no theres nothing wrong with that although I think you could have had a shot at the buck the first time you saw him.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Think your crazy...absolutely not. When you start viewing the harvest as extra icing on the cake then IMO your really enjoying hunting. Don't get me wrong I enjoy harvesting animals and we love the meat but it's not the be all and all for me. Funny it always seems to work out that when the season comes to an end I have enough meat in the freezer to please that side of me as well!

Cudos for stick with the passion (flinter) and your limitations!
Old 12-05-2006, 04:08 PM

Hey the way i see it if you've got enough meat in the freezer your comfortable with then hey why not make the hunt more challenging and interesting. I think what you are doin is awesome and it shows good ethics and morals.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:13 PM

thats awesome to know that there are still some guys left that dont just hunt for horns. i love it when i hear stories of people killing deer with a muzzleloader or something more challenging because you know that killing isnt the most important thing to them. way to stick with the flint! im gonna hit the woods this weekend with the old percussion! good luck the rest of the season.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:58 PM

I't must come with age like wisdom.I hunted bear with black powder and everyone called me crazy.I was the only one to get one that day.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:33 PM

Hen you get that buck next time with your "flinter" It will be all the sweeter.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:27 PM

Not crazy. You are enjoying yourself. My husband hasn't picked up a rifle in 3 years. Now, he's sitting here waiting on his curing time to get an official Pope and Young score! His words: Anyone can shoot a deer with a rifle, it takes a lot more skill to do it with a bow!
Old 12-08-2006, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

your not crazy! Sounds to me like your just having some fun, and thats all that matters.

Quick Reply: My buddies think I'm crazy!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.