Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What To Do!!!!!

Old 12-04-2006, 03:52 PM

Default What To Do!!!!!

Its my second year hunting and i set up on a deer trail and still have only seen one deer this season (a buck that snorted me)...i dunno what im doing wrong cuz i set up on a deer trail like im supposed to...i even tried baiting since its legal here but the deer ate it all without me seeing one...i only hunt afternoons cuz i dont go on the weekend. i also played the wind right, and am in full camo...hunt with a crossbow but besides that the only thing i can think of is that im on a trail they only use nocturnally or in the morning....any advice on what to do? I could post an aerial pic if needed...thx any help is appreciated... iwanna get my first deer this year

Mike
Old 12-04-2006, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What To Do!!!!!

Welll there is your problem right there, get out in the morning and in the evenings and you will see more deer. Unless you are hunting land that doesn't have many deer.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:12 PM

ORIGINAL: SRBowman

Welll there is your problem right there, get out in the morning and in the evenings and you will see more deer. Unless you are hunting land that doesn't have many deer.
What he said...plus if there are any rubs or scrape lines off those trails you are hunting on from the beginning of the season, bucks will be revisiting those soon, if they havent already of course!
Old 12-04-2006, 06:35 PM

just because it is a trail dosent mean it is a major one Ive made the same mistake where ive hunted over obvious deer trails only to find out when it snows that most the deer were using one about 100 yards down whener is the trail leading and is there alot of sign now i mainley hunt feilds because thats where most of our deer are.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

look more for narrow strips of woods that connect bedding ground with food if possible. Otherwise try a trail cam and see if the deer are using the trail at night.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:38 PM

you might need to find a new trail. find a trail that some does use and you should find the bucks not far from them. course easier said than done. good luck!!!
Old 12-04-2006, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

You still have a lot to find out about the deer you're hunting. Where are they bedding, where are they feeding, water source is important, and what time all this takes place. When you find out all that you'll know from which direction to approach your stand and what time to be there. Ever take a look at moon phase hunting? It gives you a great idea of what time of day the deer will be feeding and moving around. I never tried it until this year and I've killed two since opening day about two weeks ago. A guy I know that killed a deer with a spear showed it to me and swears by it, I figured I should listen to anybody that can kill a deer with a spear.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:33 PM

I agree with learning more about the pattern of your deer. You need to see if they have any other food sources around, water, and where they bed. You may be sitting in a funnel and are missing all the traffic. So far this year, our deer have gone from mornings, to evenings. We had a week of nocturnal movement. A few farmers still have corn out, so we tend to find thier trails between there and the water supply. Currently, on one farm, we are seeing NOTHING!! Morning, evening, or during the day. WE checked the acorn trees, sure enough, they are done. They have moved on to thier second source of food. Another farm, we have wheat planted over top of soybeans, and they are still coming out to feed in the evenings there. Gotta study them....it's hunting!
Old 12-06-2006, 11:55 AM

move your stand.