Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Do you shoot at running deer? check out this video >

Do you shoot at running deer? check out this video

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
48.72%
No
51.28%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Do you shoot at running deer? check out this video

Old 12-03-2006, 08:39 AM

Default RE: Do you shoot at running deer? check out this video

ORIGINAL: SaskatchewanOutdoors
road hunting is something that is part of SK hunting....its needed to locate rutting bucks....all SK hunters do it...unless you are outfitted in the forest way up north.
Road hunting is not part of hunting in Saskatchewan. Is it legal yes? Is it ethical in my mind no? Everyone in Saskatchewan does NOTroad hunt so please do not speak for me in this post or anytime in the future. Road hunting is for the people who cannot actually pattern a deer so they drive around until they see a gagger, get out and shoot. You can kill rutting bucks without roadhunting just some people have not figured that out yet or else are not prepared to put in the work/smarts. In my mind by doing this people are not good hunters rather good drivers. In my area road hunting leads to nothing but trouble for people chasing down game, shooting off of or towards roads/houses/cattle and hunting on land without permission. I find it amazing the people who drive by my farm everyday of hunting season that have absouletly no business being there because all of the land is posted however they chocolate bar by in hopes of shooting quick/loading it up and screwing off. Can't stoppem cause its a public road of course. I cannot count on my hands and feet the amount of times road hunters have screwed over my hunts while i am walking, blind, or stand hunting. Sorry to be harsh but road hunting here really burns my pee hole and you will find that I am not the only one. The fact that in the video it is said "get in lets cut him off" should be enough reason why it is not an ethical form of hunting. And i'll bet my left one the hunter did not unload his firearm when getting back into the vehicle to cut off the buck. Nuff said.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

No I wouldn't take ashot at a running deer , the risk of not hitting the vital area is to high.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:19 AM
Site Buck Guru

The only time that I shoot at running deer, is after I've shot it already and it is running away.

I've never road hunted. It isn't legal where I hunt and to me it doesn't seem like hunting.

"Hey, Greg, Where'd you get that monster buck?" ...."Oh, I was driving down the road past the Smith farm and he jumped across the road right in front of me. So I got out and shot him before he reached the woods."

How could you be proud of that? Besides shooting from a road, how do retrieve a deer off someones land without trespassing? Shoot first and ask for permission after the fact? Maybe I'm just not familiar with the rules and traditions in Canada.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:32 AM

good shot-not a safe shot ! I am the same-one shot! If he runs after i shoot i will take another,but that is very rare and only if i know i hit the first shot !
Old 12-03-2006, 09:47 AM

beautiful shot, nice deer
Old 12-03-2006, 10:04 AM

this question depends on two factors in my opinion. your firearm/ammunition and location. people who have never dog hunted may not know, but in the central to eastern virginia area dogs are used to run deer during general firearms, and shotguns loaded with buckshot are the weapon of choice. i would be willing to bet that around 60 or 70% of the deer harvested during general firearms season in this area are running shots. with a rifle at distances such as this video however, i would disagree with taking a running shot.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:18 AM

I dont like to but I will on occasions. That is how I shot a doe this year on the run
Old 12-03-2006, 10:35 AM
Host of Hosts

I don't shoot at running deer whether hit or not. I try always to take a clean kill shot, if they run it won't be too far.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Those are not hunters (uncle wipes puke from his mouth) those are opportunists. They were not hunting, more like shopping - and using the drive-thru at that.

To the point of running shots. Let's see here...............

he missed with his first shot, low and to right.

Then he happens to GET LUCKY with the running shot. Someone says, "great shot". If the shooter is such a "great shot",why couldn't he hit it while it was standing still? I am darn sure that those bozos would have thrown all the lead possible and shot until the deer went out of sight before they stopped their "great shots" - no matter what the distance.

We call those slob hunters. And I'd say it to anyone's face.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

i don't like to take running shots, but i will if i'm on a drive with guys..when you're doing drives, 80% of the time the deer are running, so you have to shoot at them running. when i'm in my stand i don't generally shoot at running deer, but most of them are simply walking when i'm in my stand. i still think this guy made an awesome shot, and it was a clean kill. he wasn't shooting at if 5 times or anything, it died right away!

Quick Reply: Do you shoot at running deer? check out this video

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.