Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Lung Shot and Still survive???????? >

Lung Shot and Still survive????????

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Lung Shot and Still survive????????

Old 12-02-2006, 06:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default Lung Shot and Still survive????????

My nephew shot an 8 pointer the other day, well he hit the lungs I THINK. The blood was really bright red, and really bubbly.. It was just full of bubbles. anyways we tracked that deer for hundreds of yards and the blood finally stopped. The next day we go back to look and we jump an 8 pointer, but he has trouble running and when he gets so far away it sounds like hes having a LOT of trouble snorting, like he can barely breathe... I know it was the same deer, so I was wondering, can a deer survive a lung shot????? because it seems this one did...
Old 12-02-2006, 06:06 PM

Default RE: Lung Shot and Still survive????????

i've never heard of a deer surviving a lung shot before, maybe u just nicked the lung? who knows
Old 12-02-2006, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have heard of a deer surviving a single lung hit but not double my friend just shot a deer that was only running on one lung the other one has somewhat how do i describe almost callased up.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:18 PM

I would have to agree with cowboy and say that you nephew must have just nicked the one lung and it may have collapsed so i dont think he will be out running anything any time soon.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

No they can't survive a single lung hit as every breath will be tainted with blood and cause them to drown in it. They can survive awhile but not days and yes they can get back up and move if bumped. I would say he missed the vitals completely as even with a nick he won't make be still running after a night of setting up. The labored breath sounds good indicate a neck shot or even a missing jaw, they can live a long time and the blood can havebubbled appearence to it. The only way to know for sure is find the deer unfortunately.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

skeeter, O contrair, let me find the picture from the bowhunting forum!!
Old 12-02-2006, 06:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Old 12-02-2006, 06:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

did you say lung shot and still live?

im not sure about the particulars and neither was the guy who posted it but all i know is it was a buddy of the guy who posted it.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

I shot a doe that had 1 lung, she had a scar on her side, from a slug. It was in the guts when I gutted her. it was an old wound too, like atleast a year or longer. So you can not say NO THEY WON'T, because they sure can, not always, but they can.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:04 PM

ORIGINAL: Cougars09

Man would i be pissed to see that.

Quick Reply: Lung Shot and Still survive????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.