Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 trailing deer after they are shot >

trailing deer after they are shot

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

trailing deer after they are shot

Old 12-01-2006, 03:38 PM
Spike

Default trailing deer after they are shot

i watch hunting shows a bit and reading the forums here on the hunting shows deer always run and have to be trailed on the some of the forums i have read people are trailing deer for 200 300 yards some have said 1/2 mile to a mile i have been deer hunting for 13 years i have only had to trail 2 deer over 50 yards from were it was hit all but those two only went 5 to 10 yards at the most i dont shoot a huge belted mag or anything i use a ruger 243 alot of them drop right where i hit them im not a expert marksman but im a good shot so i was just woundering if having them run that far is normal and i have been luck or what
Old 12-01-2006, 03:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: trailing deer after they are shot

The farthest I have ever had to track a deer was 75 yards, and that was with a shotgun. All my bow kills have either dropped or only gone 20 yards or less. Most deer only go that far because they get pushed, they are not allowed enough time to stop and bed down, and alot of people don't practice "When in doubt, back out."
Old 12-01-2006, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

Get real I have seen deer with there heart blown apart still run over a hundred yards these deer have not been pushed that is where they finally just fall. It is the adrenelin. I have also seen deer that drop instantly. But every situation is not the same.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally I think they do it for video length. They got to put something on there to make the video worthwhile buying or watching. Got to have the suspense I guess.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

Get real, most people are to excited to stop and wait to start tracking a deer, that is why they run for 200-300 yards or a half mile or more. You know it is true, I did not say all deer will only take five steps and die, I said what the deer I shot have done.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:37 PM

I have shot three deer and had three different experiences. The first deer was an eight point that I shot through the heart at 70 yards with muzzleoader. It dropped where it stood and died in minutes. The second was a doe thatI shot with the bow. I thought I got her through the lungs soI tracked her after 20 minutes. It turns out I got her farther back in the liver or around there. That's supposed to take a while to kill her but she was stone dead when I got there. She went 80 yards and was where I saw her last. The last one was a doe at 50 yards with muzzleloader. I aimed for the heart/lung area and ended up hitting her low in the neck. She dropped immediately at the shot and then got up, went ten yards and fell again. I thought she would be right there. Thinking I hit her in the heart or lungs, I tracked her in 20 minutes. I found her another 40 yards from where I had last seen her. I got lucky becauseI got her windpipe or jugular or both with the shot.She dropped literally gallons of blood.

No two deer react exactly the same. Some have more stamina than others and a better will to survive. I recommend reading the book TRACKING WOUNDED DEER. I got it at Cabela's and it is phenomenal. I hope you get lucky and don't ever have bad experiences with wounded deer. Happy hunting.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:54 PM

Back in 96 I shot a small 8 pointer through both lungs with a 30/30. I tried to immediately follow up and had to leave and get lights and come back for a 1/2 mile track. Finally located the deer. It was my first buck ever. Another time hit a nice 8 pt right on the shoulder with an 30/06. knocked it slick off its feet. I did not even reload. I watched in horror as it "came back to life" and ran for over 100 yds. I shot a 7 pointer three times with a .300 win mag. It was still moving.

I have shot a few including a 12 pointer this year that died in its tracks and there was a doe that was directly beneath my stand that I shot through the spine into heart that didn't even flinch after I squeezed the trigger.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:52 PM

It is all shot placement an ammunition, I been shooting federal premium 30-06 and sometimes .270 ballistic tips , never had to trail a deer more than 20 yards.

My buddies asked me a few weeks ago if I was shooting explosive bullets ,both deers I shothad dissintegrated hearts and lungs,LOL
Old 12-02-2006, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BowHunterFett

most people are to excited to stop and wait to start tracking a deer, that is why they run for 200-300 yards or a half mile or more.
That has been my experience and I have learned to wait...
Old 12-02-2006, 06:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am not sure what it is I but, I have seen more then one deer run 200 yards out on a heart shot, and never was it chased. We wait half an hour to one full hour before pursueing a shot deer. I have also had them run as far as 300 yards on a lung shot and fall over a fallen tree. Some deer just run until they fall over. Where they fall is where they fall. Or maybe Maine deer are stronger or something, because most will run themselfs out once hit up here.

Quick Reply: trailing deer after they are shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.