Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

mercy shooting

Old 11-30-2006, 08:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: mercy shooting

Yep, you're to be commended.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:48 PM
GCW

You did the right thing,ive had to d it before and would againe
Old 11-30-2006, 10:20 PM

i woudl of done the same thing now but last season i had a small buck come up durring bow season and its right front knee bent backwards and in my county in Missouri it has to have 4 points on one side to be legal and this deer was not legal it was chasing after does still so i didnt feel quite as bad
Old 11-30-2006, 10:30 PM
bigcountry

Yea, I know the feeling, saw this spike the other day, looked to be walking funny limping. But didn't want to use my tag. I debated, telling myself he would heal. I let him go. Maybe I should have took what the Lord put in front of me and put him down. Oh well, hope the little guy heals.

Old 11-30-2006, 10:42 PM

You did the right thing. Earlier this fall I was bow hunting a doe came by my stand. She had an arrow sticking straight out of her hind quarter. But I couldn't get a shot as she was too far away. I felt bad about it all day. Better to die by my arrow than be suffering and be eaten by the coyotes.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:59 PM

The second largest buck I ever killed back in 1998 was missing part of one of its hind legs. It was walking on three and a stump. Someone had apparetnly shot its leg off or it got caught in a trap.

Great job for doing the right thing.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

Kudos for IMO for doing the right thing....we may hunt, but we also love and respect the animals we hunt. They do not deserve to suffer!!![&:] Been there and done that{meaning having to put one down that was beyond any help) although deer are very resiliant animals....they are not immortal and can only withstand so much trauma. Death from septicemia, and gangrene is not very pleasant. You did the right thing, just as I would do again if faced with the circumstance.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

You did right
Old 12-01-2006, 04:54 AM

Nothing wrong with what you did. I would have done the same.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:53 AM
Fork Horn

One of our members did the dame thing.He was about to pass on a small 6 pointer, when he noticed a broken leg. He decided to put it out of it's misery. Upon skinning, he also noticed that it had multiple broken ribs. It must have been hit by a car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.