Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
anyone knwo how to minimize human scent? >

anyone knwo how to minimize human scent?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

anyone knwo how to minimize human scent?

Old 11-20-2002, 10:41 PM

Default anyone knwo how to minimize human scent?

i have bought scent removers etc
any other suggestions?
thanks
Old 11-21-2002, 08:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: anyone knwo how to minimize human scent?

Absolutely. After washing your clothes (underwear and socks too) in scent free soap air dry them in the backyard. Store them in scent free bags. Never wear your hunting boots except on the ground you hunt on. Step in "things" on your hunting ground, cow patties, leaves, puddles etc. Shower in scent free soap then dress in your hunting clothes after you exit your truck. Finally right before you walk to your stand sprinkle Mexican vanilla on your hands and run them through your hair and on your clothing. Dab a little on your gunstock and nothing will smell you. Nothing.

I've had 3 deer 15 feet downwind of me at night while walking back to the truck and they never smelled me while I stood motionless. I breathe through my nose not my mouth and the Mexican vanilla really does work. I get the Mexican vanilla at a local hispanic grocery for about $7.50 a quart. And it's pleasant to smell.
Old 11-21-2002, 05:38 PM

ive used vanilla as an attractant and it works. whats the differance between regular vanilla and mexican.
Old 11-21-2002, 06:18 PM
Fork Horn

First and foremost always hunt with the wind in your face. Sometimes this means putting up multiple stands in the same area so you can move around to stay downwind from the deer.

Here is what I do. I wash all my clothes in scent eliminating soap with fresh earth scent. Then I place them all in a trash bag. Before I head into the woods I take them out get dressed and spray myself down with scent eliminator with fresh earth scent. So far it has worked great for me.

You never know when a quick breeze may suddenly blow the opposite direction so it is important to stay scent free even when you are hunting the wind.

Soonershooter is right about the boots. Never wear them except for the area you're hunting. Remember any human or foreign scent that may attach itself to the soles of your boots will leave a nice scent trail all the way to your stand.

MassBowhunter
"Climb Higher, Look Lower, Fall Asleep Less"
Old 11-21-2002, 09:17 PM

A Scent Blocker or Scent Loc suit is a really good idea if you can afford one

>>>------------>
Pinmaster - At Home In The 11 Ring!
>>>------------>
Old 11-21-2002, 10:10 PM

The Cheap Alernative To Scent Blocker Sprays:

Gather acorns, Leaves, Twigs, and ect from your hunting grounds. Place them in water and bring water too a boil. After boiling for approximately 15 minutes, strain debris from water. Then pour remaining water into a spray bottle. Spray clothing with mixture before hunting.

Washing your clothes in a scentfree detergent is a great practice. Along with wearing rubber boots and scentlok suits(Expensive). Also showering with scent free soap will improve your chances of being "scentless".

-Gooch-
Old 11-22-2002, 12:05 AM
Fork Horn

Mugsy,
I don't know but Mexican vanilla was recommended to me by an old timer with about 35 racks hanging in his living room so I didn't ask!! One thing for sure is that it comes in a big enough bottle to last awhile and I don't worry about using too much either. I've used handfuls of it and rubbed it all over my body and hair. It's actually quite pleasant and keeps working for hours. The price isn't bad at all compared to commercial products in pump sprayers.
Old 11-22-2002, 08:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Best sent cover I have ever found is playing the wind right. I have tryed everything in the world, it doesnt matter how well you kill/eliminate your scent, if you dont play the wind right the older deer are going to smell ya. You have to remember our breath is the biggest problem with iminating scent.

One other suggestion, After washing clothes in scent free detergent, place them in a scent free container/bag but first put leaves from your lease in the bottom.

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" Martin Luther King Jr.

Edited by - burniegoeasily on 11/22/2002 09:23:44
Old 11-30-2002, 08:37 PM

Never heard of Mexican vanilla, it's worth a try. Regular vanilla extract diluted with water also works, I've heard it smells like acorns.

Another real good cover scent is Rack-Koon by BuckStop scents. Raccoons are everywhere, deer don't feel threatened by them, and they sleep in trees, so it makes a good cover scent for any type of elevated blind. You also need to spray your rubber boots with the cover scent before you walk to and from your stand, otherwise your scent trail will spook deer for more than a week.

Of course, wash clothes, body, hair, etc. with a good unscented soap and don't expose them to any scent contaminants before going to your hunting spot.
Old 12-01-2002, 12:09 AM

Scent Lok clothing on TOP of whatever else you wear
Rubber boots
store scent lok (and the rest of your stuff) in vacuum bags.
If you don't use scent lok, put your cover scent in the vacuum bags as well...this will saturate the clotchs with your cover scent.
After getting my scent lok suit, I haven't been winded by a deer that I know of. and as luck would have it, EVERY damn deer I saw, came from downwind of me!!! They keep comming from the wrong direction
scent free anti perspirant on your hands (unless you wear scent lok gloves)
Peanut butter sandwich for your breath...or scent lok face mask.

Quick Reply: anyone knwo how to minimize human scent?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.