Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 New Member Question Please Help >

New Member Question Please Help

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New Member Question Please Help

Old 11-28-2006, 08:55 AM

Default New Member Question Please Help

I would just like to say how much I have learned and enjoyed reading the articles and posts on this website. I am a second year hunter and have alot to learn. Last year I shot my first deer a small spike buck. However this year I have been shut out even though I have spent countless hours in the woods scouting throughout the summer and fall. So I need alittle help.
On Friday I had a nice 6+pt buck come out in front of my stand but he was moving quickly and I decided to grunt to stop him. He stopped but looked right at me and I froze, waiting for him to look away. He looked down and took a couple step behind some heavy brush. I could only see his head and was tempted to take shot through the brush but I've read so many stories about people taking questionable shots and not finding the deer I couldnt pull the trigger. Next thing I know off he goes and I'm left very dissappointed.
So after not seeing another deer on Friday and nothing Saturday I decided to scout another piece of land I have where I think less people will be hunting. On Sunday I did some scouting and found a nice area with some heavy cover on a ridge. In this area I found 4 recent scrapes all within about 50yds of eachother. One trail had 3 scrapes one right after another on it. I was able to find one decent tree for my climber but its pretty close to the trail. Is this still a good area this late in the rut and how should I go about hunting this area?
Old 11-28-2006, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: New Member Question Please Help

During the rut, at least in our area, scrapes are pretty much ignored once the buck thinks he's following a doe. They might come back and check them if theyre still alone, but during a heavy rut period, its less likely. Once the post-rut comes around, they tend to come back a lot more to check and/or re-open their scrapes.

If you think it's a good area, find a tree thats a couple yards off the trail. You don't want to block their entrance and exit to where they want to go - buuutt, you want to be able to see the area they come and go to. [8D]
Old 11-28-2006, 10:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Have ever thing ready for the shot before you grunt to stop them. They will, of course, look in the direction the noise came from.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

What farmcntrySai. find where the does are moving though if they are still rutting a buck will pop though.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:46 AM

I definately learned that you must be totally ready before you give a grunt to stop a deer. If i was ready when I grunted I would have had a shot at him. I guess thats the way hunting goes, always a learning experience.
I live in CT and I think the rut is nearing the end. Does anyone know any tactics I could use to get a deer post-rut. The scrapes I found obviously means there is buck activity in the area. Its in an area with alot of trails through it, and alot of cover
Old 11-28-2006, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunt food sources.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:11 PM
Spike

Good job on passing on that shot. I see a lot of people on here with the post "I took a garbage shot and can't find my deer, what should I do?"

They get an earful from the crowd here, as they should, but rarely do I see people saying 'good job' for passing a marginal shot.

I understand your disappointment, but it would be ten times worse if you had wounded him.

My $.02
Old 11-28-2006, 04:54 PM

It is very commendable for a second year hunter to pass up on a marginal shot, especially with adrenaline pumping. Good Job!
Old 11-28-2006, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kind of reminds me of the time when I was sitting up against a cedar tree during muzzleloader season. A buck walked straight toward me, but he was pretty close before I saw him in a thicket. My Hawken was lying across my lap and I cocked it and the deer stopped and looked right at me with my gun on my lap. Deer 1, hunter 0.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:55 AM

I know that taking a questionable shot on a deer is a judgement call, for me its kind of funny how even though you can make the right decision it feels so dissappointing. Lots of my friends tell me they would have taken the shot but I know it was a bad shot (7am pretty dark, lots of brush, no body visible ect.). I'm only 25 and have lots of years ahead of me to harvest deer so I'm not to dissappointed and as soon as I shoot my next one I'll forget all about that. And hey if I was ready in the first place I could have taken him when I grunted.
Anyway this weekend looks to be cold and windy in CT, so my tactics might change. Anyone have any suggestions?

Quick Reply: New Member Question Please Help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.