Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 World Record for Smallest Deer? >

World Record for Smallest Deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

World Record for Smallest Deer?

Old 11-26-2006, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default World Record for Smallest Deer?

I think I may have set a new record yesterday. The law in Md is that you must kill two antlerless deer before you can shoot a second buck. With that in mind I decided to put the first two antlerless deer I saw in my freezer and then get serious about hunting horns. I spotted a young deer at about 100 yards and took her down. At the shot a second one jumped up and ran about 50 yards before stopping to look back. I only had seconds to put the cross hairs on her and drop the hammer. The 25-06 barked and she was done.

When I got up to her I could not believe how small she was. After field dressing she only weighed 28 pounds. Yes, you read it right, on November 25 she still was only 28 pounds. I noticed, when I was field dressing her, that her liver was about half the normal size, off color and of a wierd texture. When I mentioned this to my wife, a veterinarian, she said that it probably had a liver shunt which kept if from developing and would likely not have survived the winter.

I am very happy with the off hand shot that took out such a small target at 150 yards, and I am glad that the little thing won't suffer through the winter, but I will never forget my shock and surprise when I walked up on her and saw her diminutive size. Has anyone ever killed a deer so small this far into the season?
Old 11-26-2006, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: World Record for Smallest Deer?

how old was she, got pics?
Old 11-26-2006, 02:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Steve F.in MD

I think I may have set a new record yesterday. The law in Md is that you must kill two antlerless deer before you can shoot a second buck. With that in mind I decided to put the first two antlerless deer I saw in my freezer and then get serious about hunting horns. I spotted a young deer at about 100 yards and took her down. At the shot a second one jumped up and ran about 50 yards before stopping to look back. I only had seconds to put the cross hairs on her and drop the hammer. The 25-06 barked and she was done.

When I got up to her I could not believe how small she was. After field dressing she only weighed 28 pounds. Yes, you read it right, on November 25 she still was only 28 pounds. I noticed, when I was field dressing her, that her liver was about half the normal size, off color and of a wierd texture. When I mentioned this to my wife, a veterinarian, she said that it probably had a liver shunt which kept if from developing and would likely not have survived the winter.

I am very happy with the off hand shot that took out such a small target at 150 yards, and I am glad that the little thing won't suffer through the winter, but I will never forget my shock and surprise when I walked up on her and saw her diminutive size. Has anyone ever killed a deer so small this far into the season?
I have heard of similar deer being taken around here, I once saw a skinned deer at a check in station which I mistook to be a skinned Doberman, when I asked the person who shot it, he said it field dressed at 22 lbs., he said the animal had abnormally small lungs, and an abnormally smallheart, and once or twice a year, you hear of the same things, I have no way to explain it, but at least I'm not living in Freakville, because, apparently its oging on elsewhere.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Soap, no I didn't take pics. Even my wife asked for pics. It was this years fawn. I'm pretty sure the one it was with was it's twin and it was 50 lbs.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

probably Inbreed deer down the line not first year imbreeding but probably alot of "shared" genes
Old 11-26-2006, 02:32 PM

ORIGINAL: cowboy4513

probably Inbreed deer down the line not first year imbreeding but probably alot of "shared" genes
That is also my theory.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

dont know what it weighed but i know a guy that shot a fawn with bow and it fit inside his bow case
Old 11-26-2006, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

shewas probly just sick, good thing you shot it now rather than it freezing to death this winter.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:25 PM

A little off topic because this is not a whitetail. But, talk about gullible hunters lol. We had a guy here a couple years ago who thought he had shot a "jackelope."

No I am not kidding....he honestly thought the "mythical" creature existslol. He had shot a muntjac instead.

We dressed it out for a total of 9 lbs.

best of luck

Old 11-26-2006, 03:38 PM
Typical Buck

I don't know what it weighed but a shot a small one a few weeks ago. I passed it up at first but she turned around after she passed me and I saw blood all over the right side of her face and thought maybe she was shot in the face by someone so I took her. Ended up she wasnt shot but probably got the blood spray off another deer that was shot I am guessing. Not quite as small as yours but small none the less. Did taste good though.
Brandon

Quick Reply: World Record for Smallest Deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.