Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

coyotes

Old 11-27-2006, 10:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: coyotes

I'm glad we don't have any of those damn yotes here in Maryland. You guys can keep em![:-]
Old 11-28-2006, 01:40 AM
Super Moderator

Open Season on them here in WV. The population is increasing day by day and this lady will shoot everyone of the "tricksters" she sees on her acreage. They are a very serious problem for deer...they are scavengers too. However, when they see a fawn, or a larger deer in a pack they are deadly. They have been known to also prey on pets, young children unattended etc..... They are not like Wolves at all.....

They are not welcome here!
Old 11-28-2006, 02:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hammy,

The DNR says that we have coyotes in EVERY county. I have never seen one but there are lots of reports of sightings every deer season.

Steve
Old 11-28-2006, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I live the great state of Missouri and we have penty of coyotes but I have to say I have never seen or came across a kill sight of a deer from a yote. I know they kill fawns here but a muture deer ??? I use to trap alot but now its just for fun, from that I learned that they love baby cats , bluejays, rabbit, quail and any other bird or small animals in the woods. Sure they eat the deer found dead ,I would have to see it to believe they could bring down a muture buck or doe. I have yet to see more then two or three to a pack . We use to kill 20 or so a year now its just 10 to 15.I do shoot all of them I get a chance to.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have a different level of respect for predators than for prey, and frankly, I wouldn't want to shoot a dog, wild or not, unless it was a threat to my safety.

But, if coyotes were depleting game animals as a ridiculous rate or attacking livestock or pets, I would do what needs to be done. Just wouldn't enjoy it.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:56 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: deerhunter1224
The guy that traps on my hunting ground has gotten about 5 coyotes a year every since he started a few years ago. where do they come from I only see a few a year.

If you see a few coyotes each season then you probably have a very healthy population. Coyotes are very elusive and primarily nocturnal, if you are seeeing a few that means you have a lot. I don't know anything about the property you are hunting but a trapper taking 5 coyotes isn't hurting the population any! I have taken as many as 21 off one property in a season and still see coyotes there regularly. Coyotes travel very large ranges, in ourregion (I see you are also from Indiana) that means anywhere from 1-4 square miles.Coyotes in Southern Indiana live in tighter quarters than they do up north... because of the terrain and cover that is available.

A lot of people think they have a coyote "problem" but that is simply not the case. I'm not familiar with any documented widespread "problems" by the USDA or otherwise east of the Mississippi. There are several situations in the west and southwest wheregovernment programs aretrying to impede booming coyote populations. Here in the midwest; folks just misunderstand the role a coyote plays in the food chain and exaggerate their numbers. As they say, hate is usually brewed by ignorance.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

Every year we shoot about 4 Coyotes off our property.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:27 AM

I shoot every coyote I see. If it was legal I would poison the SOB's. If you have ever seen a new born calf (bovine) half eaten you would feel the same. If I lived in Idaho I would shoot every wolf that I saw. Shoot, Shovel, & Shutup! The Wolves are out of control,sometimes the smart people are so friggin stupid.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:09 AM

In my area i don't have a major problem with them taking deer we have too many of them anyways, i see it as more of a managment aspect. However they take a large number of grouse as well as cause major headaches for us cattle farmers. They will lurk around the pastures and wait for the mother to go to feed or get away from the calf then grab it by the stomach and rip. I love grouse hunting and grew up on a cattle farm so any yote i see gets the business. They tend to get very brave here at times wandering into farmyards attacking family dogs, or else luring the dogs out of the yard where there are 3 others waiting to attack. Heck i have had them eating out of a dumpster at the back of the house.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Coyotes are overrated as a predator, IMHO. They are more of an opportunist. I hunt coyotes year round, and the stomachs of most contain mostly small critters and insects. Near highways orwheatpastures, theytend to have a little more meat in them, but thatis probably more from roadkills and dead yearlings. They go after easy meals, because a kick from a healthy animal to the jaw or leg could result in a fatal injury. They would much prefer something young or sick that is too weak to put up much of a fight.

They will occaisionally take livestock, but only under certain conditions. If a cow lays down to calve by a fence, sometimes coyotes will grab the calf and drag it under the fence so the cow can't get them. Every now and then, if they get a cow and calf isolated, they will work as a pack trying to get the cow to fighting them. They will try to run the cow back and forth past the calf. In the confusion, sometimes the cow will knock over and trample the calf. But most calves coyotes get credit for killing probably were either stillborn, died shortly after birth from birth defects, or the cow simply did not recognize them as hers and walked away.

It doesn't snow much here, so healthy deer have little to nothing to fear from coyotes. Coyotes will run them a little every now and then to check for weaknesses. If they do get after one, it is because they have detected some form of weakness. It can range from something major to something as minor as vision problems in one eye or a foot infection.

Quick Reply: coyotes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.