Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Buck shooters

Old 11-25-2006, 09:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default Buck shooters

How many of you eat those bucks you shoot? Mostall the bucks I've taken have tasted terrible. Especially the ones shot in November during the rut.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:22 PM

Default RE: Buck shooters

I eat every deer I shoot. As should everybody. To waste the meat is wrong. There is nojustification to killing a deer just to see if you can, or for the rack. If your deer is tasting bad, perhaps you need to try something different in your storage, cleaning, or preparation.

The point totaking wild game is the quality of the meat, to some extent the cost of the meat, and the health benefits. So please if you are not going to use the meat, don't kill the animal.

God Bless

Old 11-25-2006, 09:41 PM

I personally do not see the problem in not eating the meat if it is made use of by other people. I give the majority of my deer meat away to my neighbor who is getting too old to hunt but appreciates the few deer i drop off at his place each year. He eats alot of it himself as well as makes a bunchup for his kids when they come home to visit. I do not care for deer meat other than sausage. I take a doe and get this dry cure type of sausage made that is right good stuff but other than that i really don't eat much of it. I get an elk each year and we raise cattle so really how much meat do ya need.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:41 PM
Typical Buck

MichaelT. You may have misread my post. I didn't say I didn't eat them I said they tasted terrible. I don't shoot anything that we don't eat. I add nothing to my deer meat unless the taste isn't up to par, thats when I add other ingrediants and spices. Thats why I make burger out of buck meat. The reason, in my opinion, they taste so bad is because of the rut. Some people hunt for antlers and some of us hunt for meat. I have never run across anyone who wastes the meat. Giving it away is good if you don't have a taste for it.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:24 AM
Site Buck Guru

I have killed a lot of bucks from Wis., and Ill. I keep the steaks and chops from every deer and turn the rest into burger, sausage etc. The taste is the same for these deer, it's just that the younger deer are more tender. I usually slow cook or grind the bigger ones and grill the smaller younger ones. Never had one taste terrible unless it was gut shot and not field dressed properly.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:38 AM
Fork Horn

if you take care of them in the field, and get them cooled asap and to a proceser they tasted as good as any doe. some of the biggest buck i have killed tasted as good as any doe i have killed, and just as tender!!
Old 11-26-2006, 12:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Every buck I've ever shothas been during the rut and never had a bad tasting one.

Good be something your doing in the field.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

I usually slow cook or grind the bigger ones and grill the smaller younger ones.
You dont' do much grilling eh?
Old 11-26-2006, 03:34 PM
Typical Buck

Well the first thing I do after the kill is to field dress the deer being careful not to cut the intestines or the urinary tract, and I cut out the butt opening, prop open the chest cavity with a stick,then I take it to a water hydrant and clean it out very well. If it is a warm day I put a bag of ice in the opening.Then I hang it for at least a couple of days, skin it, wash it againand butcher. I do all my deer that way. It just seems to me that the does or button bucks taste better than big bucks.
Maybe it is my taste buds.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yea I've killed bucks in the rut(old ones too) nad they have never tasted bad. My buck this year stunk so bad from his tarsals and all, and his meat has been fine to eat.

Quick Reply: Buck shooters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.