Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tough terrain and wind

Old 11-20-2006, 05:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default Tough terrain and wind

Say I have an area taht is loaded with deer sigh , you can hear them but rarely see them , the area is THICK laurel with spots of a 40yard shot at Best, the terrain is very hilly with lots of low like canals that would resemble a river bed but they are not river beds, the hard part of this area is that the wind kills you it never stays in one direction any one with any ideas on a better statagy to hunt this area, I have hunted this area hard for 5 days now and Not seen anything other than turkeys and pheasants, But Deer sign up the ying yang, and fresh at that, I have moved to compensate the wind go back later to find fresh sign be it scrapes rubs or doppings if not all 3. this is Baffling the heck out of me I never hunted an area with so much sign and not taken a deer! Thanks for any and all tips
Old 11-20-2006, 06:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Tough terrain and wind

You might try getting a few friends and make a drive or two to get them out of the thicket.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

We tried that it didnt go well, to thick so when they came through they were hauling but so fast you couldnt get a shot at them not a confidant one anyway, but thanks for the reply
Old 11-20-2006, 07:16 PM

Are you doing the regular drives that I see with the drivers yelling and crashing around loudly? That could make them less predictable and more flighty than if the drivers were to just advance quietly. Not stalking quietly but not trying to make excess noise either. That way the deer wouldn't panic and would just move away from them, into your sights.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:37 PM

I have hunted some mountain terrain with lots of rhododendron and laurel. I believe the best thing to do is to either hunt those small openings or better yet hunt the edges where it ends and the woods begin. Those places are really tough to hunt, good luck!