Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Gun trade?

Old 11-19-2006, 07:42 PM

Default Deer Gun trade?

I have a 12 gauge 870 with the slug barrel and a 1.5-4x scope. I am considering buying a muzzle loader. Do you think it would be worth it to trade it? The shotgun is in very good condition, only fired probably 20 times. I was just wondeirng if its better ot have the 870 or a ML.
Thanks
Old 11-19-2006, 09:50 PM

Default RE: Deer Gun trade?

personally i'd rather have the 870. i see more applications for a shotgun than a muzzleloader.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's a great gun that you have. Unfortunately, you will not get much for it in a trade. Much like trading in a car. If you really can't swing having both I would try to sell it outright to someone rather than trading it to a dealer. One advantage to a ML is that you can use it during the regular deer season and again during the special ML season. Good luck.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

If your slug barrel is rifled, it's just as accurate as a ML, but with more rounds to fire, I'd rather have the 870 if I could only have one of the choices. I'd upgrade someday for a better scope, and test some differant rounds, and you'd have a real deer slayer there! If it's a smooth bore, then there's a differant story, They aren't quite as accurate, but still a good gun,many here who can only hunt in their state by shotgun will testify to that! Federal makes a rifled slug called Trueball. I've read great reviews on it. most accurate rifled slug in it's catigory! You can even change chokes, and go turkey, or goose hunting with it after deer season is over! Hope this helps!
Old 11-20-2006, 06:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

I had rather have the 870, but if it didn't have the slug barrel I would be looking for one. I don't know your state, limitsor season lengths of each, and that would influence my opinion.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:23 AM
Typical Buck

You can never have too many toys keep the 870 and get a ml there are great mls out there that won't break the bank.Many are just like bows you pay for the name.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:30 PM

You won't get much at all for a trade-in and not much more than that selling it outright. I would just buy an inexpensive ML and learn to shoot that before you drop a lot of money on one. The 870 is a nice shotgun and you could pick up a smooth bore cheap for hunting or trap.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:56 PM

Keep the shotgun if you can, but a muzzleloader is all I use for deer hunting besides bow. A good muzzleloader can be had for a good price. CVA, Thompson Center and Traditions all have some great deals out there for under $250. Pay attention to the rifling though. I wouldn't get anything less than a 1:28 twist rifling. I personally have a CVA Apollo with the 1:28 twist and I love it. I got it 12 years ago and added a 3x-9 Simmons scope. I haven't even picked up a shotgun for deer hunting since then. The 870 would be nice to have on hand though for other hunting purposes.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:31 PM

id keep the shotgun.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:16 PM

i have both an 870 express and ML... and to be honest, i would try to hang on the the 870 and get a ML...... i think they both have the positives and downfalls.

Quick Reply: Deer Gun trade?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.