Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How do these spots look to y'all? >

How do these spots look to y'all?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How do these spots look to y'all?

Old 11-19-2006, 06:48 AM

Default How do these spots look to y'all?

The land I'm hunting is the Assunpink WMA, but I have permission from one of the bordering landowners to get back to an otherwise hard-to-reach spot behind their property. I only have a few days to hunt due to the constraints of college break, so I'd like some input from other hunters on the aerial views of the spots I'm looking at.

EDIT: Pictures with coordinate grids in 2nd reply.

This one I'd hunt in that corner in the middle. My friend shot a deer there last year and saw another, but I was too far down to see any. I was down at the bottom center near that corner. There were loads of tracks, and the land owner said he saw lots of deer moving through there.

My second option is somewhere along the top of that dam, probably the bottom where it narrows down near that field.

Thanks for any input. Also, I was wondering since this is the first year I'm gonna try calling: would a fawn call work best for bringing in does? Unfortunately my only deer hunting this year unless I get my muzzleloader license is gonna be the four day doe season this week.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do these spots look to y'all?

there is a few spots on there i might try but its too hard to explain where it is you could put letters on the top and bottom of the map and numbers on the sides so people could tell you where they cross that would be the only way i could explain any better sorry
Old 11-19-2006, 11:31 AM

Are these better?

Old 11-19-2006, 02:19 PM

on the first picture i would hunt D3 where it makes a right angle there and on the second one it is hard to tell but what are in the fields by chance.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

GREAT THAT IS PERFECT!

Ok first picture i would also try D3, D4, and E4 they look like they would be some good funneling areas.

second picture very top right corner of C2, mid left of C3 and maybe F2 i would start there then on your way in and out of the woods do some light scouting. keep me posted I would like to see if my spots pay off even if they dont send me a PM message and keep me posted GOODLUCK!!
Old 11-19-2006, 02:35 PM

The field in the first picture was corn, and the dark field in the second picture is just tall grass. The light fields in the second picture were soybeans. Also, E4 is one I'd like to try again as I'm usually a ground hunter due to my current lack of a tree stand. Right by that treeline there is a fairly steep hill that drops down into that marsh, which puts me a good thirty feet above the swamp. There's an old farm shack that, if still standing since last year, will make a great blind overlooking that swamp bottom.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:37 PM

Where 1& E meet up,, theres got to be a major run going through that swamp or around the edge of it.. I LIKE SWAMPS!!!
Old 11-19-2006, 02:54 PM

the corners in d3 and c2 IMO. good luck and post back with results
Old 11-19-2006, 04:55 PM

Thanks for the input guys! Tomorrow morning I think I'm gonna try setting up in D2 or D3 in the first picture, or maybe on the funnel in D3 in the second picture where my friend saw lots of traffic. Weather according to the Weather Channel calls for it to be right around freezing with possible snow showers. I'm gonna most likely be on the ground unless my friend's tree stand is still up in D3 on the first picture, and I'm gonna put out some acorn scent wafers to aid the scent killing spray I got. I guess I'll stick with doe and fawn bleats, but even though I can't shoot a buck I'll throw out a buck grunt every once in a while and see if there's anyone home.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:37 PM

Also, I found out from the weather that the wind is looking to be from the northwest tomorrow. Will that affect the best spots there I should hunt? Also, I went out and got some nice fresh written permission so I won't have any trouble with game wardens.

Quick Reply: How do these spots look to y'all?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.