Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

button bucks

Old 11-18-2006, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default button bucks

Do you guys take button bucks if you can help it. The last two deer I have gotten where button bucks. I thought they were does. Now I look closer to see if they are does or a BB. Yes its possible someone else could shoot it. You never know it could make it in a few years could be a nice buck.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: button bucks

It happens, but when you get over that sick feeling of walking up to what you thought was a doe, you start looking a little closer the next time! But as i said, it happens to the best of us!
Old 11-18-2006, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ya thats too bad just try to look as close as possible you want to let those young bucks grow up.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Adult buck, doe or yearling in all things I give thanks for a successful, legally taken deer. I enjoy eating each regardless.

To try to ascribe a difference about a different aged animal that someone "feels bad" about taking a legal deer or other game animal is in my view misguided. Other predators don't make such distinctions. Fish and Game Depts. determine how many of any given sex, age of deer and other species can be harvested. Hunters live within those bondaries. No need to feel bad about that.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Minn,
I am not talking about being a "trophy" hunter. If I were in a situation where eating was critical, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a BB, but when you are looking to shoot a doe, and you walk up on a BB, it's more than a little dis-heartening! AND depending on the local laws, if your buck tags are already filled, it can be illegal!
In my case the BB that I shot was legal, ONLY because the antlers had not "broken the skin!" In TX, a "buck" deer is a deer with antlers protruding through the skin, all other deer are "antlerless!" My buck tags were already filled, so this deer was close to being illegal!
Again, to many hunters, walking up to a BB that you thought was a doe, definately chills the thrill of the kill! If its legal, and it doesn't bother you, fine! If it does bother you, you just have to finally chalk it up to experience and move on!
Old 11-19-2006, 03:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

One of the properties that I hunt has imposed a one buck per season rule this year. That includes BBs. Now that WILL make you look close before you take the shot.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:42 AM
Dominant Buck

My country is included in the 12 "reduction counties" that our DNR has designated for increased bonus antlerless cull , we can take up to 8 , so shooting a nice tender BB doesn't make me lose any sleep . Icouldn't care lessabout QDM , the DNR manages the herd just fine in my book .
Old 11-19-2006, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I won't condem anybody for shooting fawns but it's just not for me. I couldn't tolerate the ribbing I'd get from my friends plus you get so little meat for your tag it just isn't worth it.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ya i shot one once.. now its like wait.,,,... maybe ya its a button.. put the bow back on the hanger
but they are good and legal but .. try to face your hunting buddys and why shoot a button when theres probly some does near by
Old 11-19-2006, 10:05 AM

It doesn't bother me. I hunt for enjoyment and for meat. The young deer's meat is so tender and good.

Quick Reply: button bucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.