HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   button bucks (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/165826-button-bucks.html)

deerhunter1224 11-18-2006 06:48 PM

button bucks

Do you guys take button bucks if you can help it. The last two deer I have gotten where button bucks. I thought they were does. Now I look closer to see if they are does or a BB. Yes its possible someone else could shoot it. You never know it could make it in a few years could be a nice buck.

JagMagMan 11-18-2006 07:23 PM

RE: button bucks

It happens, but when you get over that sick feeling of walking up to what you thought was a doe, you start looking a little closer the next time! But as i said, it happens to the best of us!

cowboy4513 11-18-2006 07:25 PM

Ya thats too bad just try to look as close as possible you want to let those young bucks grow up.

MinnFinn 11-18-2006 09:37 PM

Adult buck, doe or yearling in all things I give thanks for a successful, legally taken deer. I enjoy eating each regardless.

To try to ascribe a difference about a different aged animal that someone "feels bad" about taking a legal deer or other game animal is in my view misguided. Other predators don't make such distinctions. Fish and Game Depts. determine how many of any given sex, age of deer and other species can be harvested. Hunters live within those bondaries. No need to feel bad about that.

JagMagMan 11-18-2006 10:16 PM

Minn,
I am not talking about being a "trophy" hunter. If I were in a situation where eating was critical, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a BB, but when you are looking to shoot a doe, and you walk up on a BB, it's more than a little dis-heartening! AND depending on the local laws, if your buck tags are already filled, it can be illegal!
In my case the BB that I shot was legal, ONLY because the antlers had not "broken the skin!" In TX, a "buck" deer is a deer with antlers protruding through the skin, all other deer are "antlerless!" My buck tags were already filled, so this deer was close to being illegal!
Again, to many hunters, walking up to a BB that you thought was a doe, definately chills the thrill of the kill! If its legal, and it doesn't bother you, fine! If it does bother you, you just have to finally chalk it up to experience and move on!

Steve F.in MD 11-19-2006 03:23 AM

One of the properties that I hunt has imposed a one buck per season rule this year. That includes BBs. Now that WILL make you look close before you take the shot.

kevin1 11-19-2006 04:42 AM

My country is included in the 12 "reduction counties" that our DNR has designated for increased bonus antlerless cull , we can take up to 8 , so shooting a nice tender BB doesn't make me lose any sleep . Icouldn't care lessabout QDM , the DNR manages the herd just fine in my book .

Sylvan 11-19-2006 06:40 AM

I won't condem anybody for shooting fawns but it's just not for me. I couldn't tolerate the ribbing I'd get from my friends plus you get so little meat for your tag it just isn't worth it.

Allseasonhunter7 11-19-2006 08:07 AM

ya i shot one once.. now its like wait.,,,... maybe ya its a button.. put the bow back on the hanger
but they are good and legal but .. try to face your hunting buddys and why shoot a button when theres probly some does near by

HunterKel 11-19-2006 10:05 AM

It doesn't bother me. I hunt for enjoyment and for meat. The young deer's meat is so tender and good.