Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What causes the rut???

Old 11-17-2006, 03:17 PM

Default What causes the rut???

I have been told many factors cause the rut, from moon phase, temperatures, amount of light in the sky to various other ideas. Is there any evidence of what causes the rut????
Old 11-17-2006, 03:36 PM

Default RE: What causes the rut???

Length of days.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tequila

Sorry. Good question. not sure
Old 11-17-2006, 03:56 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: 4x4utilityman

I have been told many factors cause the rut, from moon phase, temperatures, amount of light in the sky to various other ideas. Is there any evidence of what causes the rut????

White-tailed Deer and Rut
Old 11-17-2006, 04:21 PM
Typical Buck

That awsome desire to propagate that all of us bucks have. Oh yea does have it as well!!!
Old 11-17-2006, 05:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Win70

Length of days.
Correct answer

ORIGINAL: DannyD

Tequila

Best answer thus far...works for me!!
Old 11-17-2006, 06:25 PM

We have a few ruts here in NC? But as I see it (and could be completly wrong) is that it has something to do with the weather. Low light days that are cold, you know overcast days. I just find it hard to believe that all the deer across the country or even states that are close have the same rut.
If the moon phase is the cause than I'm sure there is a website that follows it?
I think(or guess) the Doe causes Bucks to have something to chase what do you guys think?
Old 11-17-2006, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its the length of day
Old 11-17-2006, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Length of days. It's more accurate to say the amount of sunlight. When the days start getting shorter, less light in a given day, them juices start a flowin'. And since the whole country gets the same amount of light as the rest, the rut pretty much hits the whole country at about the same time.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Everywhere has 3 ruts as does come into estrus every 21 days and are only available for breeding within a short window. It is natures way to ensure as many available females are bred. Length of daylight start off the primary rut (1st and most intense breeding period) then the estrus calender takes over for successive ruts.

Weather has absolutelty nothing to do with the rut, though it has everything to do with seeing the activity of the rut. The reason for daylight is stable year to year (unlike weather, moon phases, etc). Without such; if bred early they may be born in harsh conditions, if bred to late they don't have enough time to develop survival skills. Nature is very proficent everything happens for a reason and in cycles to promote survival of the species.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.