Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

weird stuff seen?

Old 11-16-2006, 08:45 PM

Default RE: weird stuff seen?

Last year I was hunting a tree stand for the first time in an old Elm tree. Shortly after I got settled into my stand I heard something hissing real close. I'm looking all around me to see if I can make out what the heck is hissing at me, and then I look up and see a opossum with two little ones literally about 5 feet above me in the tree next to my stand just staring me down. We had a stare off for probably 10 minutes before they finally climbed down and scampered away. Those things have some serious teeth I wouldn't want to piss one off anymore than I did.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:17 PM
Typical Buck

During the weekend before rifle season (Nov 4th and 5th), I was sitting in my uncle's friends stand and I nearly had a sharpshin hawk use my head as a perch. He came swooping in and Itwitched my head at the last minute so helanded in the tree in front of me and stared medown. Then about 2 minutes later heflew right at my head again (causing me to move again), flaired his wings and then took off.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was sitting in my climber this bow season and had one grey squirell running around and playing below me. He decided to climb up the tree/sappling next to my stand and come visit me. He didnt make any noise just sat their looking at me. I started talking to him to let him know i wasnt a threat. Well the little bugger jumped onto my shooting rail and made himself at home just staring at me and cleaning himself. I had some trail mix in my pocket from the nite before so I decided to see if hed take some from my hand. SoI pulled some out of my pocket and slowly held my hand out. Long and behold he took some nuts and raisins, filled his little mouth and down he went. 5 minutes he returns and hops back onto my shooting rail. I held out my hand again and he droped the raisins back into my hand, guess he didnt like them. He took some more nuts and scampered back down and came back about 10 minutes later. He sat on my rail again staring at me and cleaning himself. He took the rest of the nuts left me the raisins came back sat on my rail and almost fell to sleep right there. I thoughI was going to have a new woodsy companion, untill he decided to take a crap on me. Im not talking like pellets here im taking talking explosive diareah!!!! After I everything I gave him thats how he repaid me. What a little bugger. I sure hope to see him next year though. I named himBoss. Cause a boss will always shi* on you sooner or later. Hes still my little bud though.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:52 AM

Hunting in Mercer County, PA about 20 years ago I was heading to my stand an hour before light on the 1st day of buck season when I heard a shot from the camp above us.
At lunch time I found out that one of the hunters from that camp was shot and killedby one of his camp buddies by accident while loading his rifle.
That was an eerie feeling...
Old 11-17-2006, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: tschaef

On 2 different occasions (1 gun, 1 bow) I have heard a noise coming and got ready, let me tell you face to face with a fisher can be scary, they are evil looking omnivours.
I've had a bunch of chickadees scatter from around me followed by a hawk so close I could have grabbed a wing.

I found this while turkey hunting, why would a beaver do this, twice the pleasure? :

that is quite strange
Old 11-17-2006, 07:28 AM

that beaver may possibly have been making a lamp for his dam
Old 11-17-2006, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

I was sitting in my climber this bow season and had one grey squirell running around and playing below me. He decided to climb up the tree/sappling next to my stand and come visit me. He didnt make any noise just sat their looking at me. I started talking to him to let him know i wasnt a threat. Well the little bugger jumped onto my shooting rail and made himself at home just staring at me and cleaning himself. I had some trail mix in my pocket from the nite before so I decided to see if hed take some from my hand. SoI pulled some out of my pocket and slowly held my hand out. Long and behold he took some nuts and raisins, filled his little mouth and down he went. 5 minutes he returns and hops back onto my shooting rail. I held out my hand again and he droped the raisins back into my hand, guess he didnt like them. He took some more nuts and scampered back down and came back about 10 minutes later. He sat on my rail again staring at me and cleaning himself. He took the rest of the nuts left me the raisins came back sat on my rail and almost fell to sleep right there. I thoughI was going to have a new woodsy companion, untill he decided to take a crap on me. Im not talking like pellets here im taking talking explosive diareah!!!! After I everything I gave him thats how he repaid me. What a little bugger. I sure hope to see him next year though. I named himBoss. Cause a boss will always shi* on you sooner or later. Hes still my little bud though.
thats awesome! i have similar things with squierrls they can actually be quite friendly!

You might wnt to carry non salted nuts with you cause if he eats too many salted nuts he will lose his fur.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cowboy4513

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

thats awesome! i have similar things with squierrls they can actually be quite friendly!

You might wnt to carry non salted nuts with you cause if he eats too many salted nuts he will lose his fur.

Really? I didnt know that.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ya i see it in the cities people will feed there squirrls people foot with salt and it will cause them to loose there fur. Just dont want you new buddy freezing to death!
Old 11-17-2006, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

My cousin while sitting in a tree stand here in NY actually had a full grown buffalo walk through the woods within 40 yards of him. He couldn't believe his eyes. Turns out that the farmer who owned the land had purchased 2 of them and was going to tinker with the prospect of mixiing buffalo and beef to sell what I guess is called beefalo. In any case you can imagine the shock my cousin had.

Quick Reply: weird stuff seen?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.