Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Interstate Harvest Travel

Old 11-16-2006, 10:50 AM

Default Interstate Harvest Travel

I am planning for the first time to use a deer processing outfit that is located across the state line. I am curious to know the legal ramifications of carrying a harvested whitetail into another state. (The animal would be killed in NC and travel to SC for processing.)
Old 11-16-2006, 10:55 AM

Default RE: Interstate Harvest Travel

I would say...Dont do it. I dont know about in NC or SC, but in Georgia, it is ILLEGAL to carry other deer into the state. The DNR are monitoring the Chronic Wasting Disease that is present in Cervid species. Just call your local DNR office...they can tell you over the phone.

Unless you plan to do it under the radar. My deer cooler is a ask no questions kind of place...but DNR frequent in to regulate.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:58 AM

If you decide to "just do it", be prepared to face DNR when you get there. I'm sure you could get away with it though. Most deer coolers are glad to have the business.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:40 AM

What are non-resident hunters supposed to do with there deer? Leave them at the state line? Check with your local DNR, but i'd think as long as it's tagged and registered, there wouldn't be a problem.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:21 PM

you can bring it in, but you have to have it processed FIRST. You cant have any uncleaned heads, spinal column, organs. I was saying, you cant bring an uncleaned carcass across state lines...Its in our hunting regulations @ www.gohuntgeorgia.com It is irrelevent I know, I was just proving a point. : )