Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How much is too much?

Old 11-14-2006, 10:23 AM
Spike

Default How much is too much?

So I'm packing for the Wisconsin Deer season, and I'm starting to realize that I have way to much stuff for one person. On top of that, I'm drivingmyself andtwo others. If the other guys have as much as I do, there is no way it will fit in my Ram 1500.

Treelounge (and all the goodies), 2 rifles (ammo bag), boots, bibs, parka, all the necessary items to stay warm anddry, GPS, knives, compass, saw, chainsaw (fallen trees blocking fire trails),radio... Plus food... you get the idea.

Just for hunting, I'm starting tothink it would be much more enjoyable if I just take the clothes I need to stay warm\dry, my knife, radio and the 30-30 (no scope), and just sit on the ground.

Anyone else feel like they have just too much stuff?

Old 11-14-2006, 10:28 AM

Default RE: How much is too much?

He who dies with the most toys, wins!!!

I am definately in the race....

Every year I go to fleat farm for hunting supplies. Every year I buy what I think I need. Every year I get home to realize that I already have three or four of everything I bought. You'ld think I'ld learn, but I don't.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:31 AM

Buy a trailer!
Old 11-14-2006, 10:46 AM

We use two vans for four hunters up her in west michigan. I know too much gear but hey its fun.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:52 AM

I wear a turkey vest when I deer hunt. I can fit 20oz bottle, Knife, calls, gloves, tobogan, neck warmer, gun mags, compass, cell phone, food, ect..., and I still have room. My vest has a fold down butt pillow and a back pad. I only carry a rifle, and stay in the woods for up to 12 hours. I started out carrying way too much stuff though!
Old 11-14-2006, 10:57 AM

All you need is your gun, ammo, knife, clothing for the conditions you hunt in, and a rope or something to drag the deer out. Maybe a map and compass and few survival items if hunting in a wilderness area. Anything else can be done without, especially since the majority of hunters hunt within a few hundred yards from a road! But if someone likes the idea of hauling a thousand things around with them, go right ahead.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:04 AM

YOU CAN ALWAYS BUY YOUR MILK , bread AND DRINKS at the local walmart. that saves room.I would leave that out before your tree stand
Old 11-14-2006, 11:05 AM
Fork Horn

i would have to agree he who dies with the most toys wins is true, imagine 3 people with all of there **** going up north. We have treestands, our backpacks with all of our goodies in it, also 3 guns, cooler, suitcases, as well as our deer rack for the back to bring those bad boys home on, and our deer hauler out of the woods. that is why we drive a gas guzzler 2000 FORD EXCURSION
Old 11-14-2006, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

To me - packing way too much crap and cramming it in your truck is all part of the fun. I drive a dual cab Ford F-350 and I filled the back seat completely full this year for deer camp. I don't even think I unpacked half of it when I got there....