Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First deer in 4 years!!!

Old 11-13-2006, 05:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default First deer in 4 years!!!

Well here is what happened...
Roughly 2:30 p.m. - I was walking up the drive to where I hunt and once I got up there I was walking across the field (open area about the size of a football field, just dirt) and my stand is right along the tree line about 3/4 the way back on the left. Well I get about 1/3 of the way back and I jump 4 does that were on the other side of a brush pile just 20 yards away from me. I thought "oh crap, there went my chances" But I went ahead and jumped in my stand anyways being they didn't blow at me, just ran off. So I get in the stand and all situated by about 2:45 or so and I am watching for a while and turn 'the lil can' a few times. So, I am sitting there watching the squirrels and hear something running right towards me from the left. Now it is about 3:33p.m. So I get the gun up and am ready for when it pops out, turns out to be a small doe. Well she is on a mission and I figure since she is a little smaller than I would like I will let her go. A few seconds later a hear more tromping coming from the direction the other came from. So now I am watching the smaller doe across the field to my right and turning back to look for the other to come out and so on. Well I look back at the smaller doe and the right side of her face was all bloody around her mouth, nose and about 3-4 inches back. I thought oh crap, someone shot at her and was way off and hit her in the face. So I didn't know whether to take her down or wait for the other. I figured if she was shot in the face like that she wouldn't be able to eat and drink and would suffer to death so I went aheadturned the can once more since she was facingaway from me and about to go down a hillside, she turned aroundandI took the shot. This is at 3:35 p.m. I got her at about 50 yards with the Savage .270. I know she isn't the biggest one out there but she is a trophy to me! She is the first deer I have shot since about this time in 2002 and is the first time to take anything down with my new Savage! Sorry, I don't have any pics. I went back to the house and had my fiance come to take a pic of me and the deer and the darn batteries went dead right before she took the pic. Now I am ready to get back out there tomorrow, and get some batteries ahead of time!
Brandon
Old 11-13-2006, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First deer in 4 years!!!

congrats. doesnt matter the size as long as you are happy with it.. Was she shot previously?
Old 11-13-2006, 06:09 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks. Sorry I forgot about that part. No she wasn't shot as I thought, I am guessing she must have been behind another deer that was shot or something and just got sprayed by the blood. Not sure but no wounds were found.
Brandon
Old 11-13-2006, 06:20 PM
Typical Buck

I've been there.... through the dry spells. I've been a couple years in a rowhaving shot nothing. Other years, I've two deer in two days and even two deer in the same day. So far this years beengood - I've shot four with 6 weeks to go. Sure beats last year.... no deer
Old 11-13-2006, 06:33 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah, the last 3 years weren't really a dry spell but just didn't have the time to hunt and didn't have a gun. My cousin used to keep his 7mm mag at my house and that is what I shot. But I moved to MO and didn't have a gun. So last year at tax time I bought a few guns so I could go this year. Feels good to be back out there. This is also the first year to use a tree stand as I always ground hunted before.
Brandon
Old 11-13-2006, 08:44 PM

All deer are trophies. Congrats. MV out!