Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

flinching problem

Old 11-12-2006, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default flinching problem

I have a problem with flinching, right as im about to shoot, ill move slightly in anticpation to the shot, I think the reason i flinch is because the first time i ever shot a gun, i put my eye to close, and got nailed in the eye, and got a black eye, when i flinch i sometimes close my eyes right before the shot.
ill hit 3 times right in the bullz eye, thanone 6 inches to the left.
what do you guys do to not flinch when your about to shoot?
Old 11-12-2006, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: flinching problem

squeeze the triiger dont pull it you want it to surprise you when it goes off take a deep breath and squeeze slowly
Old 11-12-2006, 06:24 PM

is it better to hold your breath when shooting? I ususally do but I'm not sure where I picked that one up, I don't recall ever being told to do it.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

it doesnt seem to matter about holding your breath just remember if he turns let the breath out LOL
Old 11-12-2006, 07:09 PM

Get a picture of a deer, or a mount, or a decoy and practice dry firing over and over. While you dry fire think of likely scenarios in your mind. And of course, make sure you gun is unloaded and pointing in a safe direction before you do this. MV out!
Old 11-12-2006, 07:13 PM

try a smaller caliber that way you dont worry about recoil and getting ringed by the scope

Old 11-12-2006, 07:33 PM

Dry Fire.

First, do a little research and make sure that it will not cause damage to your weapon by dry firing it (it is okay for some, not okay for others). If you are unsure, you can buy dummy cartridges (snap caps?) that will prevent damage to your firing pin. USE SAFETY WHEN DRY FIRING. Never dry fire at anything you are not WILLING to destroy. People die from "dry firing".

My gun is a Remington Model 700 (.270). On the Remington website there is an FAQ that says that dry firing will NOT damage my gun. If you can't find this information for your weapon, error on the side of saftey.

Dry fire just like you would shoot at a real target. Practice breathing, squeezing the trigger (not jerking). Remember, ideally, the shot should come as a "suprise" to you.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:44 PM

ORIGINAL: terbzz

try a smaller caliber that way you dont worry about recoil and getting ringed by the scope

This could be the answer, I know it caused me some problems in the past.
and of course you must practice and be comfortable with whatever gun you are shootin
Old 11-12-2006, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: pawn256

Dry Fire.

First, do a little research and make sure that it will not cause damage to your weapon by dry firing it (it is okay for some, not okay for others). If you are unsure, you can buy dummy cartridges (snap caps?) that will prevent damage to your firing pin. USE SAFETY WHEN DRY FIRING. Never dry fire at anything you are not WILLING to destroy. People die from "dry firing".

My gun is a Remington Model 700 (.270). On the Remington website there is an FAQ that says that dry firing will NOT damage my gun. If you can't find this information for your weapon, error on the side of saftey.

Dry fire just like you would shoot at a real target. Practice breathing, squeezing the trigger (not jerking). Remember, ideally, the shot should come as a "suprise" to you.
i have a 30-30 can you dry fire that?
Old 11-12-2006, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

I have a problem with flinching, right as im about to shoot,
I have had the same problem.
One way to get rid of a flinch.
Is to get a 22 revolver.
And stager the ammo with fired empty cases.
But don't look to see where they are in the cylinder.
Then shoot at a target.
The empty cases will act like dmuuy rounds and after a while you will slowly get rid of the flinch.
And when you snap on the live rounds it will be unexpected and
You will over come the flinch.
I hope this helps.

Quick Reply: flinching problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.