Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Tips on getting my first deer. >

Tips on getting my first deer.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tips on getting my first deer.

Old 11-12-2006, 06:46 AM

Default Tips on getting my first deer.

I am 17 and i am still trying to get my first deer. I have missed a spike horn about 25 yards away and a doe at about 100 yards away. what am I doing wrong!?!?!? I have been really mad latley because I can't get one, to the point where I wanna give up but I tell my self not to.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:52 AM

Default RE: Tips on getting my first deer.

go shoot a lot of targets so you have total conifindence that you can hit a deer mabey your guns off a little or mabey you jerk when you pull the trigger or you arnt shooting a big enough gun
Old 11-12-2006, 06:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

#1 Practice
#2 Patience
#3 Persistence
Old 11-12-2006, 06:58 AM

Make sure you follow the advice given above,also when you go to the range, shoot at a deer target once in a while to help you focas on the vitals.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:48 AM

o probley jerked the trigger or something but i will try and do what u guys told me.

Thanks alot!
Old 11-12-2006, 08:05 AM
Typical Buck

Definately go to the range. Practice will help. try shooting free hand as well as on a rest. If you can I suggest trying toshoot shots that you would be likely to take when your out in the feild.

Alsotrydifferent types of ammo for your gun. When I was just starting I used a smooth bore 12 ga. single shot H and R Shot gun, which i tried to shoot sabots out of and couldn't get any predictable shot with but then i switched to rifled slugs and they were very good in that gun. I guess my point is that different types of ammo shoot better than others out of different guns. Find what works best for your gun when at the range and practice with that.

Good Luck. Hope that helps

INDY
Old 11-12-2006, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

You have experienced a phenomenon called Buck Fever.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:23 AM

The advixe above is correct, one more tip that has helped me is that I spend a lot of time afield doing the spring/summer just observing deer. I still have my full camo, etc on and I just sit there, if have encounters as close as 10 yards!!!! This way, when hunting season comes along, I don't get as tense, I still get excited, but not to the degree that I would call it buck fever, which I've had many times in the past before observing. Just my .02 cents worth. Good luck, and I mean it, you will get one and it will feel so freaking awesome!!!!
Old 11-12-2006, 12:53 PM

I know it is buck fever. I am trying to get away from it.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

you can't get away from it but you can control it. More time seeing deer helps

Quick Reply: Tips on getting my first deer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.