Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Truglo Red Dot from a stand

Old 11-11-2006, 08:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default Truglo Red Dot from a stand

I was just wondering if shooting from a stand with a gun would throw off my sight. I just got a Reminton 870 Mag Deer Gun with a Red Dot Scope. I have been shooting Remingtons 3" Sabots out of the gun. Sighted in at 85 yards and I can do alright...shot around 2" of the bullseye.
Anyways this friday I got 3 shots on does, and missed everytime. The first doe I shot at, it just barely grazed her front leg right under her vitals...it was about 2" away from being a dead deer. I saw her come out that afternoon but never got another shot. The second two shots just totally missed her.

So I was just wondering if when I shoot from a stand if I am lowering my arm at the shoulder or something, throwing off that red dot making me shoot low...has anybody else had any experience with this sight? I am thinking about switching to a better scope for next season. I was just wondering if my thinking made any sense to you guys.
Sorry for the rambling post, I wasn't exactly the best English Student
Thanks.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:25 PM

Default RE: Truglo Red Dot from a stand

I have used a Red Dot Scope hunting in the hills and mountains of OH and WV shot down some really steep hills just fine... Never used it up in a treestand... But all my shots were down to the bottom of the hills or valley... Pretty good evaluation difference..

Hang a treestand somewhere and put up a target and shoot.. See what you come up with.. Maybe its more operator error than the scope..
Old 11-12-2006, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

It sounds like you may have a parallax problem.
Put the gun in a vise or on a steady rest.
If you look through the scope and move your head side to side without moving the gun so that the dot moves within the field of view, does it stay on the same point on the target, or does it drift with your movement?

If it does move, that is paralax, and you can minimize it's effect by making sure that the dot is in the very center of the field of view before you shoot. It should get you through the season anyway.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I happened to see one of these scopes at the store yesterday.
(Don't tell my wife I was shopping in the gun section again, OK?)

Although I didn't get to play with it, I did read everything on the package, and it does not mention parallax. Some scopes, usually more expensive ones, will say if they are "parallax adjusted" for a certain distance.
Since your TruGlo did not state this as a selling point or feature, I'd bet that we have found your problem.

Old 11-17-2006, 08:35 PM
Typical Buck

That is what I was thinking because I would rest my elbow on the pickup and move my head from side to side and the dot moved. So any recomendations on an adjustable scope? I mean these slug guns can be accurate to like 150 yards or more now right? I would like to get the full potential out of my gun. Thanks
Old 11-18-2006, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

My 870 with rifled barrel wears a Bushnell Banner 2.5-4.

Haven't had any probs, and the mag seems about right for slug ranges.
If you like the red dot, my Tasco Propoint 5 works OK (12 brightness settings, and 4 dots sizes), but I don't know how long it will hold up to the recoil.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:07 AM
Fork Horn

Buckslayer,
If it is a standard red dot scope, you can't go wrong on a slug gun.

There is no parallax with red dots.
Try this: Put the gun in a gun vise (or any thing that will hold it still)
place your eye looking through the scope and notice where the dot is (target), now move Your head around, the dot moves around in the scope, but so does your target. that is the advantage ofa red dot scope, Your can throw the gun up and take a "snap shot" and where ever the dot is, that is where the slug is going.
The other great thing is, keep both eyes open, watch your target and just raise the gun up, with both eyes open the scope body "disappears", just a red dot on your view.

I have 5 red dot scopes, love them.
I have them on slug guns, M14, M/L, bow,

Slack
Old 11-25-2006, 12:31 PM
Typical Buck

I guess maybe I will just have to get a little more practice in with the gun so I can get used to using a scope maybe. I have used open sights for the last 9 years