Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

trespasser tree stand

Old 11-11-2006, 03:08 PM
Spike

Default trespasser tree stand

We went out to our farm which has 200+ acres of heavy woods and we found a metal tree stand in the middle of our forest. The property is complely posted and everyone around us knows we don't allow anyone to hunt it.
We removed the stand and put I no hunting sign on the tree it was hanging on. The stand is know locked in my shed.
Did I do the right thing? Do I have to give it back? Can I file Trespasser charges?

Thanks,

This property has always allowed us to fill our tags with mature bucks.
Three real trophies above the 160 class.
My son is 16 and he has already taken 5 nice bucks including last years monstor that scored 181.
You can see why we don't wont any trespassers

Rob
Old 11-11-2006, 04:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: trespasser tree stand

Yea you had evey right to take the stand and lock it up , the farm is your property and you had it posted.
I would have put a note on the tree the stand was in saying thank you for the stand and I would also put a trail - cam near by the tree so I could see who the trespasser is then bust'em
Old 11-11-2006, 06:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Taking the stand without giving it's owner a chance to claim it may constitute theft under your state's laws , I'd leave a note for the owner to come to the house and discuss getting it back . While it is your land and the stand's owner was trespassing you don't have a legal right to steal their property . Either give them a chance to claim it or turn it over to the local police and let them handle it .
Old 11-11-2006, 07:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would turn it over to a game warden.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

You did the right thing the loser who did that ought to be punished!
Old 11-11-2006, 08:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: kevin1 Taking the stand without giving it's owner a chance to claim it may constitute theft under your state's laws , I'd leave a note for the owner to come to the house and discuss getting it back . While it is your land and the stand's owner was trespassing you don't have a legal right to steal their property . Either give them a chance to claim it or turn it over to the local police and let them handle it .

I'm absolutely with Kev on this one. Turn it over to the coppers and let them deal with it. I'll bet the guy who left it there won't have the nerve to ask the cops for it back. Then if it's a nice stand and you want it you may have achance to buy it at an auction sometime in the future.

Now for those who beleive taking it and keeping it is the right thing to do, let's examine this scenario............

it was my stand. Yeah I put it there and have been poaching some fine deer out of there, without you guys knowing for some time now. And you keep wondering where some of those nicer bucks you've seen have "disappeared" to. They're on my wall and ebay! You haven't found any of my other stands so I'm still jumping your property. I've seen you guys go by me many times. Now as for my stand that you stole and left that smart note for me to find. I took the note and got me an idea to get it (and you!) back.

I report the stand stolen. Give the coppers a good descrition, maybe I even got my SS on it somewhere you didn't notice. I'm telling the coppers that I saw you drive off from property I had permission to hunt with that stand in the back of your truck. I saw you taking it down when I was stalking into the woods and didn't want to get into a confrontation. So I followed you back to the truck and got your plate number.

Now when the coppers show up at your place and find my stand I'll probobly be decent and agree not to press theft charges against you as long as I get my stand back.

Remember - this is just an imaginary scenario. RARELY! will you ever have to second guess your actions when you do the right thing.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is crazy. The guy tresspassed, and put up a stand on your property. You have every right to take the stand. Consider it a gift. Good luck!
Old 11-11-2006, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a problem like that put i left a note saying he had 1 week to get it out or i was taking it. Sad to say it was still there in a week.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would take it down, make use of it or throw it away and never look back.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Way I see it, there was a trespass and the fool left their stand, in my book it's abandoned and free game.

Quick Reply: trespasser tree stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.