Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What a night....

Old 11-10-2006, 06:30 PM

Default What a night....

WellI got home after school today and threw my camo on to head out in the woods. It was the last day of muzzleloader season here in TN. About 5:15 a nice 8 point comes out of the woods at 20 yards. I settle my scope right behind his shoulder. I slowly squeeze the trigger and the gun goes off. All is see if a big bright red flare come out of my gun.The deer takes off.My grandpa loaded the gun for me right before i headed out and he put a 45 cal. bullet in instead of a 50 caliber. While i was going up the bullet had fallen out of the gun and all was left was the powder. Will i see this deer again or can i kiss harvesting this deer good-bye? I've been worrying about this all night because ive been trying to get this deer since archery season.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What a night....

I wouldn't think so becaues he was scared by the sound of the gun going off i don't think he realy knew what was going on.I've shot a buck one time 5 min later a bigger came down the same trail.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:55 PM

I hope your right im going to be worrying about this all night.

Old 11-12-2006, 07:03 PM
Typical Buck

Donty worry! As long as he has a reason to stay(which he must if hes there) he'll hang around. I shot at a deer a hit him under his belly and he kept going andthe next weekene he came back and I dropped him in his track.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey man dont worry its happend to everyone ill tell you one success story and one failed. ok heres the good one first I was 16 hunting the last youth hunt i could here in michigan It had Rained 24 " the previous night the farm where we where hunting was completly underwater about 4-10 inches of rain everywhere I hunted hard all day then about 1 hour before daylight ended my dad has glassed a buck in the soy bean fields (bythe way i was using a muzzleloader) so i slowly stalked up to about 125 yards I put the scope on his chest squeezed the trigger... click... OH #$#% put another cap on CLIck... my gun miss fired 6 times!!!!!!!!!!!!! then on the 7th BOOM right in hist chest and down he went! Ok now here is the bad story two in one actually it was OCT 15th i as bowhunting and stalking a nice what i thought to be 8 point probably about a 140 class deer from looking at him through the brush i was stalking got to about 50 yards then another buck stood up right next to me about 20 yards away he was HUGE a 12 point 170 class deer...easy i rose up shot right over his shoulder....%#&* so I had hunted hard didnt see him for awhile then me and a friend where driving down the Road 2 lane pretty busy on NOV 7i look off to the right in the brush and there he was bedded just off the side of the road!! the same deer about 1000 yards from where i last missed him so me and my friend went and parked and I stalked him again got withing about 25 yards but he was bedded down thick brush so i start toward where he was and grunted he stood up and took off all at the same time! so I never got a shot this time but I now know his core area and Gun season opens on WED so hopefully I can get Him the point of all of that rambling was that even though you miss the deer should hang around. Just look in other areas lots of glassing if possible cause htis time of year they will bed down with does and wait for them to come into estrus.