Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 I question the shot placement, BUT >

I question the shot placement, BUT

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I question the shot placement, BUT

Old 11-10-2006, 10:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: I question the shot placement, BUT

Sad thing is that there are some fools out there that would take that shot. I'll be honest, I have always supported that right for hunters to hunt with any legal method that they choose, but lately I have heard numerous "bow hunters" talk about "sticking another one" that got away. It is almost to the point that I wish bowhunting was deemed illegal. I have heard those words at least 7 times the last week. The majority of the people bowhunting don't practice enough to be efficient as a hunter.
There's a lot of gimpy deer out there that were not hit so well by someone hunting with a gun too. There's going to be a degree of idiots out there no matter what you're hunting with. I wouldn't lump all the bowhunters into the same stereotype because of a few isolated stories like this. In fact I would tend to believe bowhunters go above and beyond to be ethical and respect the sport. I personally know of a lot of gunhunters that grab their shotgun opening morning, dust it off while on stand, and let lead fly at running deer. Not putting down one method of hunting over the other, just stating that i dont' think it's a fairstatementto say bowhunting is less ethical than gunhunting and should be illegal.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

Sad thing is that there are some fools out there that would take that shot. I'll be honest, I have always supported that right for hunters to hunt with any legal method that they choose, but lately I have heard numerous "bow hunters" talk about "sticking another one" that got away. It is almost to the point that I wish bowhunting was deemed illegal. I have heard those words at least 7 times the last week. The majority of the people bowhunting don't practice enough to be efficient as a hunter.
Even the so called professional bow hunters are somewhat stupid/inefficient at times. A couple of weeks ago I saw a TV show with Jay Gregory showing his and his friends misses while shooting at turkeys. I didn't count them, but the entire show was missing turkeys. They didn't show the bad hits on the turkeys that probably died later, just as the shows don't show other game animals that receive bad hits. There are just too many variables with sighting and shooting a bow efficiently.
Honestly I think you should take it easy. You're talking about taking away a hunting right here. I live to bowhunt, and you saying something like this sounds like you're from an animal rights group. People injure deer with rifles and shotguns all the time too. That's why it's hunting, that's what happens. I take offense to that kind of thing.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:06 AM
Fork Horn

I know a guy that i go to school with has shot 2 does in the head with his bow same way, however i disagree with that technique. One year over by my house there was a nice 8 pter with an arrow stuck out its nose, from what i heard from ppl in the neighborhood it died of starvation because with the arrow sticking out it couldn't eat.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:17 AM
Typical Buck

I'll assume it was luck because no deer deserves to be killed like that. Gun or bow shooting a deer in the head is risky at best. one question though. Is he gonna have the taxidermist put the arrow in the deers eye when he has it mounted????
Old 11-10-2006, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

its a nice buck tho!
Old 11-10-2006, 12:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

I can guarantee that I am far from being an anti-hunter. I've killed somewhere in the neighborhood of 175 deer, all with a gun, exceptone with a bow. I will have my 12 year old grandson with me on Alabama's special early youth hunt tomorrow and there is a very good chance he will shoot a deer. I'm not questioning the ethical part of hunting with a bow, I'm questioning the number of people I have heard talk about sticking another one that got away, usually by not being a good shot with a bow or taking a poor shot. On these forums there are often people talking about sticking one that they fail to find. If you are proficient with your bow and can harvest and collect 95% or more of the deer you shoot, then I congratulate you, shoot another one.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

nice buck but bad shot placment even though it did the job .You should never take that shot
Old 11-10-2006, 10:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

sticking another one that got away, usually by not being a good shot with a bow or taking a poor shot.
There areseveral issues that contribute to this.
1-Not proficient / tuned / practiced
2-Uneducated in proper shot selection / deer anatomy
3-Lack of blood trailing and tracking skills to recover awounded deer

I feel that #3 isvery important and often understressed, because we are all going to make a bad hit by accident someday. All year long, guys talk about equipment choices, tuning, clothes, scents,and even shot placement and selection, but 'how to find a wounded animal' never comes up until somebody is on the verge of losing one or has already given up. Consequently they end up spending time on here asking questions instead of staying in the woods looking for their deer with the knowledge they should already have, at least in an acedemic sense.

A thread like this (and a picture like that)is an opportunity to educate new and/oruneducated and/or lazy hunters in the importance of the choices we make and how they can be judged by outsiders. However, I don't think that any of our own should besuggesting thatbowhuntingbe made illegal because of the actions of a few unsrcupulous(or unlucky)individuals.

There are lots of people who misuse guns and baseball bats too. Not a single one of those incidents, nor all of the lives that they have affected is a reason to take away my gunsor bats. If you want to take away my hunting privileges, you better be able to prove that I don't do it right.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:36 AM
Fork Horn

This is the kind of stuff the Anti-Hunters love to see. Lets not do this kind of thing so they have one less thing to worry about.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

F%#@ the anti's. Why is everyone worried about what they are reading. I'm not going to hide in some hole and watch what I say to appease them freaks.

Quick Reply: I question the shot placement, BUT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.