Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Buck Conservation

Old 11-09-2006, 08:08 PM

Default Buck Conservation

I'm trying to figure out what is up with all these hunters posting pictures on "The Harvest Report" of these young buck with extremely small or spike racks. I'm proud of what ever I kill but I also practice patience and trophy conservation if you kill small deer then how will there ever be more trophy deer. What is the point of killing a young buck if you are killing for the meat then kill a doe they are more plentiful and won't hurt the trophy deer population. I don't understand nor doapplaud those who do I guess call me a hater but I wouldn't post a picture with my face and spike or buck smaller that a big 6 pointer!
Old 11-09-2006, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Buck Conservation

You need to re-evaluate.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:18 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: isatarak

You need to re-evaluate.
I can't remember where but I saw a list of the stages of deer hunting it went something like
1.harvesting an animal
2.tagging out
3.Shooting a large deer
4.enjoying time in the woods

I would say that whatever stage an individual is in justifies what he wants to be seen with in pictures.JMO
Old 11-09-2006, 08:21 PM

There are far better ways to judge a trophy than a tape measure.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

--
Old 11-09-2006, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

i'd say if it's legal and that deer is what you want to shoot,then congratulations are in order.If taking a 150" buck has to validate you a hunter,then that's pretty sad
Old 11-09-2006, 08:43 PM

i too only shoot large bucks or does for meat, but i have nothing against shooting small bucks. they make great first deer for anyone, as a matter of fact my first deer was a 5, my second a 4. anyone wanting to shoot a small buck should go for it, because i know some people are raised that way. nothing wrong with a spike, because for some people that IS a trophy. horn size isnt everything to most people. i just like hunting. ive hunted for 5-6 years and i have only killed one mature buck, im happier than ever with this deer and hunt every weekend i can just for the chance to match him.its just being in the woods that counts.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:50 PM

Every deer I take is a trophy and I am proud to have a picture of it and share it. Personally I dont need a large rack to prove I'm a big tough man. But hey if your self esteem is that low that you need the online community to validate how big of a man you are because you shot a big deer go right ahead.

By the way some of us hunt because we enjoy the woods and being out in them, but I guess that is way over your head manlaw. Hope you understand that at least a little bit on your quest to shoot your next hugh trophy buck to prove your supremacy over the rest of us and our 'not good enough for you deer'
Old 11-09-2006, 08:55 PM

Sounds as if I've offended some small buck hunters but I do enjoy being in the woods with out having killed anything but I've had many oppurtunities to kill many deer but patience is rewarded and apparently some of you don't have that. Everything deserves to live but we all must die I just don't get the point of killing something that hasn't had time to live. Some people just have the ambition to kill anything moving that's not me I have a goal and point when I go into the woods and if I don't see what I'm looking for I don't SETTLE for LESS that's what a real man/ hunter is about. MANLAW
Old 11-10-2006, 01:13 AM
Typical Buck

Hey Manlaw!

I think you have to ask yourself if you really know the situation some of these guys find themselves in. I personally choose to let young bucks walk.I wasn't always this way. I want to shoot a mature deer, and I know that if I shoot a young buck, I 've just ensured I can't do the very thing I want, unlessI wanna sneak around and dodge the warden.However, I have uncles who grew up without the benefit of the good conservation practices currently in place in most states. These guys, will shoot a small buck everytime, because somewhere inside, they still remember what it was like to hunt all season and never see a single deer. They saw how protecting the does, brought this great deer population to their hunting area, and they don't want to go back. In fact, one of my older uncles made the mistake of shooting a doe once, in his teenage years, and my granpa about killed him. This kind of thinking is deeply ingrained in some folks and they aren't going to change their minds.
Second, you might be lucky enough to live in an area where 150" bucks grow on trees. If you do, I'm highly jealous! However, the fact is, most areas of this country aren't nearly as blessed. To say a man, who lives in an areawhere only about 1 or 2 deer of this caliber are taken each year, is foolish because he chose to harvest a year and a half old deer is unfair.
The fact is, very good hunters don't always take a trophy deer. There will almost always be times when they have to settle for a less than hoped for deer. Unless, they happen to be independently wealthy and are able to travel from one great hunting area to the next until they find a trophy class deer. Most of the guys you meet here, are average 40 or 40 plus hour working folks who get lucky to have more than a couple of days to hunt each season. Given those limitations, any deer is very respectable.
Thethird thing you might consider, isgiving voice to a privately held opinion, when it could step on others toes. We've all said things before we really took time toconsider the consequences. You're statement about not showing your face with anything smaller than a 6 point, sounds a bit condescending. It's fine for you to have that opinion. However, it's foolish to openly declare it to people you really don't know.

GH

Quick Reply: Buck Conservation

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.