Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How do you rifle hunt?

Old 11-07-2006, 05:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default How do you rifle hunt?

Do you sit on stand?
Do you stalk around?
Do you stomp around and try to kick up deer?
Do you do drives?
Is it some sort of combo of the above?
I am going this weekend to an area I have never set foot in to rifle hunt this weekend. Not sure on the approach I will take.

Jim
Old 11-07-2006, 06:04 PM

Default RE: How do you rifle hunt?

I sit in a climber...sometimes I will sometimes stalk around. If I were you, I would just stalk around.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:09 PM
Typical Buck

I sit the first couple hours, then I still hunt/stalk till dark! By the time rifle season comes around I've spent too many hours bow hunting out of stand!! I get way more thrill out of stalking them than I do waiting for them!!! I've even started stalking with my bow!!! Now that's a challenge!!!
Old 11-07-2006, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I "still hunt". I walk to a spot where I havea decent view, call/rattle for an hour or so, then move on to the next spot. This works well for the main spot we hunt, because if we leave the van at legal time, then we get back around noonish. Then we usually just sit in the evenings.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will sit for 3-5 hours in the morning, push out a bedding areato some family members, and sit for 3-4 hours at night
Old 11-07-2006, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

During Rifle season I usually sit in a stand all day. Sometimes if conditions are right I will start on stand and then still hunt to 1 or 2 other stands.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

In the mornings I sit in the 30 foot high "tower stand" and usually in the evenings I'll sit either in one of my bow stands or at the water faucet which is a helluva spot.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

I sit in a stand almost 100% of the time, with the occasional walk down the logging roads, to me its all about the experience at camp, and gettin a deer is a bonus, so i sit in comfort in my deer stand and if im blessed enough to see some deer, then so be it, but if not, i dont let it bug me too much, i just like hangin with the guys and sometimes hangin some meat.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:06 PM

I do it all except the sitting part i just find a nice tree or ridge line to sit on and just sit there and wait.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:26 PM

I generally rifle hunt out of a shooting house.

Quick Reply: How do you rifle hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.