Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

bad dog(s)!!

Old 11-04-2006, 11:48 AM
Typical Buck

Default bad dog(s)!!

I just got back from the morning hunt and i saw six does but none gave me a decent shot so i passed on all of them and at about 9:30 or so i decided that i would move to my stand down in the creek bottom so i spot stalked my way down to my stand and i got up in it and no more than an hour went by and i heard something crashing though the brush.so i got ready and it was 2 does and a spike. i was going to take the spike then i heard some thing else coming so i held off thinking it might be a bigger buck, but boy was i surprised it was a pack of dogs (5 of them).and before i could shoot the spike they chased it away.Im not gonna tell you guys what idid until you tell me what you would have done in a situation like this.by the way this was private land with no house or tenats on the property.thanks
Old 11-04-2006, 11:52 AM

Default RE: bad dog(s)!!

I am currently in the exact same predicament. it is our land, and our neighbors dogs. we are in the middle of the country, so I guess they think they can just let their dogs roam free, but what they don't realize is that their dogs run off oevery deer in the county. includeing running off 3 does on my father in law. personally I would support anything you do to these dogs ( just make it as painless as possible) lol
Old 11-04-2006, 12:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

What do you mean you're not gonna tell us what you did til we tell you what we would have done?!!

Trying to drag all this back up again, huh?

I would have tried to get two of those mutts in a row and tried to put an arrow thru both of them. But just one would do if that was all that was possible.

This subject will be addressed to the point at our deer camp meeting in a few weeks. All unauthorized mutts will get the lead treatment. Too many guys have too much time and money invested to let some dogs run the deer off or away from the property - plain and simple.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:06 PM
Typical Buck

well now i know how you fell about it i guess i can tell you that 3 of the 5 dogs didnt make it home.

Old 11-04-2006, 12:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here it used to be dogs chasing deer you could shoot on the spot, but, not anymore. We are supposed to report it to the area warden to investigate. Then, they are supposed to take care of it. To many folks they said were shooting dogs for the fun of it. So that is what we have here and none of us like to see dogs chasing deer priod.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:20 PM

well if that had been my dogs their most likely would have been one less human going home also....
Old 11-04-2006, 04:02 PM

In my state here is the answer I received from our Conservation Department for same problem:

There is around 8 dogs of different species that run around my property all the time and I have witnessed them chasing deer many times. I have spent allot of money for the land and cabin to hunt and am tired of watching this ruin my land and hunting chances. I can't catch them so what can I do if anything to stop this from happening?

This is a fairly common problem when people either don't keep their pets controlled or dump domestic dogs when they are no longer wanted. Since domestic dogs are not wildlife there is no season or regulations controlling them in our Wildlife Code. Domestic dogs are generally considered someones personal property. With that said I can not tell you to shoot them even though there is no regulation on our end that forbids it. (If you do shoot one and the "owner" finds out the dogs tend to get real expensive.) You do, however, have a right to protect yourself and your personal property from damage or threat from domestic dogs. If you know who the dogs belong to a visit with the owners may be appropriate. Otherwise you are on your own on how you handle the dogs.

Ok, with that said. the moneyspent taking off work, cost of land, cabin,hunting supplies. Paying a 500-800 fine if caught for shooting the dogs is cheaper than not shooting them and wasting my precious hunting money and time. Shoot them!

Old 11-04-2006, 04:31 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: BChunter88

well if that had been my dogs their most likely would have been one less human going home also....
Agreed, it take a real bag of crap to shoot a dog. Lots of things move deer, not just dogs. I know a guy that I used to consider my friend, that is all the time bragging about shooting dogs. I was hunting with him, and he got on the radio braggin about shooting a dog, and 5 min later, I got on the radio telling him I just stuck a real deer. Later I told him, "you really wonder why you don't kill deer, are you hunting dogs, or deer, your going to have to make a decision". When people shoot a dog, they don't have a clue they are risking thier own life in the process.

Old 11-04-2006, 04:44 PM

I have shot 2 dogs that wereferal and were causing major problems in the area(documented incidents),, no one could catch them and they were a threat to both farm animals and people.

This past week I ranacross a thread on another sight about a guys labrador, that was shot on his property. It was obvious this dog was a pet,, someone didnt like the fact it "ruined" theyre hunt. I say B.S., if there is problem with the dog, you notify the owner and dont take it out on the dog.There is no need for this,, if you think these pictures are right you are one sick individual! This dog was obviously a pet!! and the person who shot it had absolutely no right too!

If anyone EVER did this too my dog,, I gaurantee there would be alot more too worry about than just a fine or lawsuit!

Old 11-04-2006, 04:50 PM

Lets say a pack of wolves or coyotes start running the deer off your land while you are hunding. Would you shoot the coyotes or wolves? If you know who the owners of the dogs are, You need to go havea talk with them. Doesnt matter if they are on your property, they are animals and following their their noses, they know no better. Best thing to do would have been to find the owners if possible, tell them whats going on, warn them what will happen if it continues, And the second to last thing to do would be to call animal patrol. I know if it were my dog, I'd be coming over there and returning the arrow or lead, but only you'd be the "dog".. Hell i have an outside dog and he runs wild and all the neighbors love him. You wouldnt shoot a person that came across your land by accident, You'd simply explain to him what the issue is. I think you made really bad judgement and did it the easiest way. It wasnt right, You just as well you could have tried contacting the owners and work something out. Those dogs did no damage to you or anyone else. They were being normal dogs. I'd consider finding the owners of the next group of dogs that come by so you dont get yourself into a bind if someone were to find out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.