Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is a 20ga worth it for deer?

Old 11-16-2002, 03:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default Is a 20ga worth it for deer?

I've always used a 12ga for slug hunting but this year I'm having some mobility problems. What are everyone thoughts on using a 20ga?

Thanks
MassBowhunter
Old 11-16-2002, 03:55 PM

Default RE: Is a 20ga worth it for deer?

Well, look at it this way . . . would you not use a .45-70 on deer, assuming that the shots were under 100 yards? I know I sure as all getout would, if I had one. A 20 gauge sabot slug is ballisically identical to a .45-70 bullet . . . come to think of it, it's the same bullet, depending on whose manufacture of slugs you're using.

Based on that, I'd say that there's no way you should feel undergunned with a 20 gauge. I know someone who still uses the old Foster type slugs in his old Browning Auto-5 on deer. Inside of 50-75 yards, it's "Goodnight!"

Old 11-16-2002, 04:01 PM
Typical Buck

I use a 20 gauge A-5. along with regular old Federal slugs or 3" Federal buckshot. I have had no problems with it. I enjoy the smaller gun. It's lighter, faster, and just plain more fun to shoot.

Good Luck. Capt Brad.
Old 11-16-2002, 04:01 PM

i killed my first deer with a 20 gauge slug gun and it put her down real quick. i love my 20 gauge.
Old 11-16-2002, 04:14 PM

I took a nice eight point last year on a visit to see friends. My buddy talked me into hunting and loaned me his Remington 870. The foster type slug flattened out to about one inch in diameter and the deer only went about twenty yards before dropping dead. I wouldn't hesitate using a .20 gauge again.
Old 11-16-2002, 04:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

MassBowhunter-

No real question here. Of course a 20 will do the job. Especially newer weapons with rifled barrels. A 20 will do just fine!

Now....."Go Get Ya One!"
Old 11-16-2002, 05:22 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the feedback. I figured it would do the job I just wanted to make sure it would really have the knockdown and penetration for a humane kill.

Now please don't flame me for it but is buckshot out of the question? The area I'm hunting is thick and almost all of the shots would be under 50 yards, most under 30. I've heard a lot of different arguments for each side of the debate. Some have told me buckshot is great up to 50 yards or so, and then some have told me that it is pretty much a sin to use it. I've never used it in the past but I'm considering it for this year. Any thoughts?

MassBowhunter
Old 11-16-2002, 06:32 PM

That 20ga. will knock them down. Get out there and hunt.

Use slugs.

Good Luck!

KEEP HUNTING THE GREAT OUTDOORS & GOD ALIVE, PASS IT ON!
Old 11-16-2002, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

Out of the 15 deer I've killed two of them had buckshot in them. Several friends have found the same. I've never hunted deer with buckshot or even a shotgun but from what I've seen I'd stick with a slug.
Old 11-16-2002, 08:51 PM

MY UNCLE HAS BEEN USING A 20 FOR THE LAST 2 YEARS, IT WILL PUT THEM DOWN IF YOU DO YOUR PART. I JUST BOUGTH A MODEL 37 20, SO I BELIEVE. AS FAR AS BUCK SHOT I WOULD SAY NO,I HAVE SEEN IT USED AND IT WILL KILL DEER BUT NOT AT 50 YDS, ALSO YOU DONT GET A BLOOD TRAIL TO FOLLOW.
GOOD LUCK AND KAPPY HUNTING

Quick Reply: Is a 20ga worth it for deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.