Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

when do you prepare more

Old 10-30-2006, 05:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default when do you prepare more

Do you prepare more for gun season or bow season?
I do more during the bow season than gun.
By that I mean using more scent control, sex lures, dominate bucklures, move slower while walking, get to my spot earlier,etc and 9 times out of 10 I'm up in a tree stand.

Old 10-30-2006, 05:50 PM
Spike

Default RE: when do you prepare more

I prepare more for bow season due to the fact it starts earlier Oct.1 as gun season starts after thanksgiving. So gun season is kind of a continuance of bow season.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ourgun seasonopens the day after bowseason ends.Gun season feels like adeer hunting vacation for me. I'm pretty whooped physically and mentally after bowseason. Gun season is about 100 times less preperation and workIMO.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I prepare for season period!!! It doesn't matter if it is bow, ml or rifle, a 12 month of year process for me. I actually spend more timepreparing (lots of scouting, practice, etc)then hunting.

It takes a lot to make them 400 yard shots you know..LOL j/king!

I have kind of lost the bowhunting fever, I still really enjoy it but for some reason it has become more of a extended scouting time for deer. Really become an avenue to hunt larger game earlier/oftenlike moose and elk instead.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like said before, just a continuation of deer season.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

Bowhunting requires a lot more practice on my part, only because I want to master the flight of the arrow. I honestly don't think I'll be using a muzzleloader or rifle anymore. This bowhunting thing is quite an addiction for me. I can practice in the basement, only 11 yards, anytime I want to. Gun season really doesn't require much weapon preparation once you are sighted in. With a bow you must shoot regularly to maintain your proficiency. The big thing with bow hunting is scent control because ya' gotta get them in close. Also, you must locate your stands so they travel close to it. Since I've started bowhunting, deer hunting has become more of a learning experience and appreciation for my quarry.