Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 My rut is possibly spoiled- gun question >

My rut is possibly spoiled- gun question

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My rut is possibly spoiled- gun question

Old 10-30-2006, 04:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default My rut is possibly spoiled- gun question

After being pumped up for 4 days now to go hunting tonight, on the only day out of the week that I get off early enough to go hunting, I went to my hunting spot and I see a van sitting 100 yards away from my treestand- so I get out and start getting dressed thinking that it was the farmer that farms it...pretty soon I hear gun shots. So I look with my binoculars and decide to drive my truck down there and see who the hell it was- Well it ended up being my cousin. He was shooting his fricken gun collection right by my treestand- and were not talking ***** guns neither- were talking AK-47's - Nagant's - M-16's - SKS- .12 ga all this stuff right...

My questions is, how long do you think it will take for the deer to come back after he probably shot 200 rounds off back there. A day, week? Relly pisses me off because it is peak rut and I havent even had a deer close enough to shoot this year.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: My rut is possibly spoiled- gun question

that sucks but its the rut and bucks from a long ways away could stroll through. But as far as your deer id say at least 1-2 weeks im not really shur.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

It may just be around here, but I've heard of people shooting a deer, and while waiting the half hour, have another come strolling back down the same trail. In my own experince, I shot three times at a deer last year (don't ask, confused with the old Weaver post and I did end up dropping him on the third shot) and the next day, my dad shot a deer not 500 yards from where I did. I wouldn't give up on your spot yet.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

Ok I wont then- I will go hunting tomorrow and see what it brings...never know-

There is a skeet club about a mile from where I hunt so they might be used to it..never know
Old 10-30-2006, 05:48 PM
Typical Buck

I have watched deer while the woods sounded like world war 3 and it didn't seem to bother them. I think you'll be fine. Go get em and good luck.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

for some reason i think they know when the shots are at them and when they arent in any danger
Old 10-30-2006, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

Ok just curious- I was mad when I seen them down there shooting but then I turned hypocritical and joined them...I figured they are already gone so what the hell-

Old 10-30-2006, 09:02 PM
Fork Horn

They'll be fine in a day or 2...don't worry about it.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:43 PM
Fork Horn

The biggest bucks i ever saw walked out while i was hunting Ground Hogs. I was on the edge of an Alfalpha field and had been shooting all day. About 4-4:30 a doe walked out and started feeding. I fired two or three rounds at hogs and, after the the first shot she never looked up again. She stood in the field about an hour before a huge buck stepped out. Shortly after that his Grandaddy followed. At just a hair over 200yds they would have been an easy shot with the 25-06 i was using. Unfortunatly it was only mid August in Virginia. I wanted so bad to just say "THE HELL WITH IT" and ditch my morals. My dad, brother-n-law and mysef just lay there watching and shooting here an there. They stayed until dark then moved of as we got our junk together.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:57 AM

I had a critter problem in my back yard. Nothing the .300 mag couldn't take care of. While cleaning up the mess, a deer came out of the woods behing my house, saw me, and took off. This was the first of only two times that I have seen deer behind my house in the three years that I have lived there. Unless the deer are heavily hunted and know to associate that sound with hunters, you were probably good as soon as he left. Otherwise, I would say that it would probbaly be ok the next day or so.

Quick Reply: My rut is possibly spoiled- gun question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.