Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting in Heavy winds

Old 10-28-2006, 11:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default Hunting in Heavy winds

Do deer usually bed down in heavy winds, say 25 - 30 mph? Calling for heavy winds here in NY, and i was wondering if the deer will be moving?

Do you have any suggestions on how to hunt in wind. I was thinking bump them from therebedding areas and thenstalks might be a good idea as the wind will probably mask a lot of noise and scent if used proerly.

Thanks
Old 10-28-2006, 11:16 AM

Default RE: Hunting in Heavy winds

even deer gotta move pee and eat wind or not
Old 10-28-2006, 11:17 AM

One of my best bucks was taken stalking a thicket on a windy day.

The wind was from the south at about 20mph and I knew the deer liked to bed down in the thicket. Not having any luck elsewhere, I decided to stalk hunt it, enetering from the north side and working into the wind. The noise of the wind in the branches helped mask any sounds and I found myself less than nine yards away from a nice 8-pointer.

Ever since I've jumped at the oppurtunity to stalk when the wind is too strong for the stand.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:22 AM

Yes deer "usually" bed down during extreme weahter conidtions. Reason is that they can not ear or smell as good. If you are going to hunt during these times stalking probably would be the preferred method.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know , in most case's when I was out in my stand on a windy day I never saw a deer not one time.
With winds 20 mph or more it doesn't do any good to bow hunt anyway and if your tree starts swaying it makes it to stay in your stand.

Old 10-28-2006, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

hey LI hunter lemme know how u do, i was going to hunt ny this weekend but am not as crasy as you
Old 10-28-2006, 01:15 PM
Fork Horn

it's gonna be pretty windy this afternoon today, but i think i'll still go out. Last time i was hunting in winds close to 30 mph and i saw 4 nice does

Old 10-28-2006, 01:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

ive seen some of my biggest bucks on windy days.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:47 PM

was out this morning in 30 mph winds did not see anything. Last weekend had the same thing 20-30 mph winds and jumped to bedded dear and spooked a turkey so not much luck this year in wind.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Reason is that they can not hear or smell as good. If you are going to hunt during these times stalking probably would be the preferred method.
That's what I've experienced too. It makes sense that if their two main defenses are minimized (nose and ears), that they would sit tight.

I would approach it as you suggested, move to them and still-hunt as if there is a deer within 20 yards of you, because you will probably get that close before you see them. If you move any faster, they'll spook before you get close enough.

You always have to hunt the wind when it comes to deer.

Quick Reply: Hunting in Heavy winds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.