Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

HELP ME!!

Old 10-25-2006, 02:52 PM

Default HELP ME!!

i hunt in kentucky and i havent killed a deer this season, although there is still a long way to go. But i need help because i have a stand that sits on top of a ridge and there is a huge field ontop of it. I see 4 does every nigght i hunt up ther. ( i have never tried there in the morning) I dont know what to do because every time they come into bow range they know what tree im in.. without me even moving... what should i do about that...

Also if i do kill one will it scare them off because there is a huge rub on a tree about 20 yds. from my stand i want that buck to hopefully follow a hot doe once the rut starts. SHould i shoot if i get the shot or wait for the buck...?

thanks in advance for any comments
Old 10-25-2006, 03:04 PM

Default RE: HELP ME!!

Unless they're going into rut, I'd say down her. Or, you'll be in the same situation I'm in--too many does. I just got one today myself. 1 down, about 4 to go, and I'll be in good shape!

If you're seeing good signs of rutting activity, I'd probably hold out. And then unleash at the end of season if they're that predictable.

My .02c [&:]

BTW, does your camo match your area? How high in the tree are you?
Old 10-25-2006, 03:08 PM
Typical Buck

If they are in the rut,dont shoot her.I they arent in the rut yet,she should drop dead!!
Old 10-25-2006, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Keep her alive and use her as a decoy. Wait for the buck.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:06 PM

yes check out the tree your in., you can be really high up there , but.,like a buddie of mine,. said the deer would always see him., i told him the tree is small and you really stick out big time ., and he was really high., so he moved to a bigger tree ., just as high,. and did shoot the deer., and the deer did look at the old tree he was in ,.but he was not there,. and they kept comming and he got his shot ., and got his deer.,just a thought/ good luck to you ,.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:20 PM

im probably 20 ft up in a tree... it slpits into three and its pretty nice, but the only thing is that he cut down all the limbs around it so you are baisically sticking out like a sore thumb... but i hunt on my girlfriends stepdad's land so i dont want to complain to much because i think theres a biggin out there... ill take a picture of the rub and try to post it... but thanks for all the feed back... and i havent been hunting very long so what are the main signs of rut??
Old 10-26-2006, 12:08 PM

your cammo might be glowing get some uv killer detergent and spray 20' i belive is a good height i like to get as high as i can without it gettung to dangerous always wear your saftey harness try finding a tree with some cover lockons are good stands for bow hunting because u dont have to cut the limbs to get up the tree and it will give u cover